All Out Life
"All Out Life" is a song by American heavy metal band Slipknot. Released as a single on October 31, 2018, it is the band's only single that was not included on an album, though it was included on the Japanese version of We Are Not Your Kind. The track's release was accompanied by a music video directed by the band's percussionist and backing vocalist Shawn Crahan. It is the band's first single in nearly three years, following "Goodbye", which was released in January 2016 as the final single from .5: The Gray Chapter. It is the final recording to feature longtime percussionist and backing vocalist Chris Fehn before his dismissal from the band due to lawsuit in March the following year.
|"All Out Life"|
|Single by Slipknot|
|from the album We Are Not Your Kind (Japanese edition)|
|Released||October 31, 2018|
|Songwriter(s)||Shawn Crahan, Jim Root and Corey Taylor|
|Slipknot singles chronology|
Composition and lyricsEdit
According to Slipknot frontman Corey Taylor, "All Out Life" was written as "a rallying cry for everyone ... about all of us getting together and saying, 'You know what. Let's not talk about old. Let's not talk about new. Let's talk about what is. Let's talk about what's good, what's real, and get behind that and start embracing things that matter because there's history there and not just because it's the next best thing." Taylor also provided the following additional background to the composition of the song:
"All Out Life" is a song that is trying to do two things: bring everyone together, but also remind everyone that the past is not something to be discarded with disdain. People are so eager to find the next big thing sometimes that they shit all over the bands and artists that have come before, thus making the past feel disposable, like a dirty thing. Fuck that: Why should we pay attention to your mediocre future when you can't be bothered to celebrate an amazing past? I'd rather listen to a guaranteed hit than a forced miss. "All Out Life" is the anthem that reminds people that it's not the date on the music – it's the staying power.
Promotion and releaseEdit
"All Out Life" premiered as the "World Record" on Zane Lowe's Beats 1 radio show on October 31, 2018, after which the song was made available for digital download. The music video for the song was directed by band member Shawn "Clown" Crahan. Kerrang! writer Nick Ruskell noted that the video does not feature any of the band members, and described that it depicts "hooded-up figures being carted off to prison to be sprayed in gore like something from The Human Centipede 3".
Despite its title being taken from a lyric in the chorus, the song is not on We Are Not Your Kind. According to Taylor, this is because it was only intended as a song to let Slipknot's fans know that they are still around, and he thought the lyric "would just be a cool crowd chant". "All Out Life" does appear on the Japanese import of We Are Not Your Kind.
Style and receptionEdit
Andrew Trendell of the NME described "All Out Life" as "thrash-heavy". Nick Ruskell commented that "There's an intensity that outstrips pretty much anything from [the band's] last three records, with a streak of venom running through it that could have been vomited forth from Iowa." Scott Munro of Metal Hammer dubbed the single "ferocious" and "incredible".
- Trendell, Andrew (October 31, 2018). "Happy Halloween, maggots – Slipknot return with new song 'All Out Life'". NME. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- "Corey Taylor wants to make 'dark jazz' album". Fremont Tribune. January 7, 2019. Retrieved January 31, 2019.
- Labrèche, Louis-Philippe (November 1, 2018). "All Out Life". Le Canal Auditif (in French). Retrieved January 31, 2019.
Translation: The drums is halfway between tribal patterns and thrash metal while Corey Taylor screams in a more applied manner.
- Chapstick, Kelsey (October 31, 2018). "Hear Slipknot's Surprise New Song "All Out Life"". Revolver. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- Alston, Trey (October 31, 2018). "Slipknot Share "All Out Life," First New Song in 4 Years: Listen". Pitchfork. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- Ruskell, Nick (October 31, 2018). "Slipknot's All Out Life: The K! Verdict". Kerrang!. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- Childers, Chad. "Slipknot's 'We Are Not Your Kind' Album Details Revealed". Loudwire. Retrieved 2019-07-28.
- "Corey Taylor Explains Why All Out Life Isn't On The New Slipknot Album". Kerrang!. Retrieved 2019-07-28.
- Munro, Scott (October 31, 2018). "Slipknot are back with ferocious new single All Out Life". Metal Hammer. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- Kerrang!, issue 1774, May 2019, page 8.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Single (track) Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved November 15, 2018.
- "NZ Hot Singles Chart". Recorded Music NZ. November 12, 2018. Retrieved November 9, 2018.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved November 10, 2018.
- "Veckolista Heatseeker – Vecka 45, 9 november 2018". Sverigetopplistan. Retrieved November 10, 2018.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved November 10, 2018.
- "Official Rock & Metal Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company. Retrieved November 10, 2018.
- "Slipknot Chart History (Hot Rock & Alternative Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved November 10, 2018.
- "Hot Rock Songs – Year-End 2019". Billboard. Retrieved March 19, 2020.