Alfredo Demarchi (1857-1937) was an Argentine businessman and politician, who held various state positions, including as Vice Governor of the Province of Buenos Aires.
|Vice-Governor of Buenos Aires Province|
1 May 1898 – 1 May 1902
|Governor||Bernardo de Irigoyen|
|Preceded by||José Inocencio Arias|
|Succeeded by||Adolfo Saldías|
|Minister of Agriculture|
13 September 1917 – 6 March 1922
|Preceded by||Honorio Pueyrredón|
|Succeeded by||Eudoro Vargas Gómez|
|President of the Compañía Primitiva de Gas de Buenos Aires|
Alfredo Silvestre Demarchi y Quiroga
October 12, 1857
|Died||August 16, 1937 (aged 79)|
|Resting place||La Recoleta Cemetery|
|Political party||Radical Civic Union|
|Spouse||Clara Marta Leloir y Sáenz Valiente|
He was born in Buenos Aires, the son of Antonio Demarchi and Mercedes Quiroga, daughter of Facundo Quiroga, belonging to a distinguished family of Swiss and Creole origin. He completed his elementary and university studies in Europe, and received an engineering degree from the Institute of Technology of Zurich around 1878.
He began his political career in 1894 when he was elected as a national deputy by the Radical Party. He served as Vice Governor between 1898 and 1902, and in 1918 was appointed to occupy the Head of the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock of Argentina.
Alfredo Demarchi was married to Clara Leloir, daughter of Alejandro Leloir Sáenz Valiente and María del Tránsito Sáenz Valiente. He was the grandson of Facundo Quiroga, and his wife niece granddaughter of Juan Martín de Pueyrredón, prominent politicians and military of Argentina during the 19th century.
- ^ Registro oficial de la provincia de Buenos Aires. Buenos Aires Province. 1898.
- ^ Argentines of Today, Volumen1. William Belmont Parker. 1920. ISBN 9780527698003.
- ^ Revista de derecho, historia y letras, Volumen3. Estanislao Severo Zeballos, Carlos F. Melo. 1899.
- ^ Memoria. Argentina. Ministerio de Obras Públicas. 1919.
- ^ Archivo del brigadier general Juan Facundo Quiroga. Universidad de Buenos Aires. 1988.
- ^ Genealogía, Temas16-17. Instituto Argentino de Ciencias Genealógicas. 1976.