Alfred Music(Redirected from Alfred Music Publishing)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Alfred Music is a music publishing company. Founded in New York in 1922, it is headquartered in Van Nuys, California, with additional branches in Miami, New York, Germany, Singapore, and the United Kingdom.
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Van Nuys, Los Angeles, California|
|Key people||Steven Manus , Gear Fisher, Morton Manus, Iris Manus, Ron Manus,|
Alfred Music's history began in New York City's Tin Pan Alley in 1922, when Sam Manus, a violinist and importer of mood music for silent films, started a music publishing company and named it Manus Music. The company published primarily popular sheet music. In 1930, Sam acquired the music publisher, Alfred & Company, founded by Alfred Haase. Sam decided to combine the names and shortened it to Alfred Music, which the company is still known as today. Sam's son, Morty (né Morton Manus; 1926–2016), clarinetist and pianist, began working for Alfred Music in the late 1940s and met his wife Iris at the company when the bookkeeper, Rose Kopelman, brought her daughter to work one day. Inspired by the need for quality music educational products. Morty, a clarinetist and pianist, oversaw the development of an instructional series for accordion, followed by books for guitar, piano, and recorder. Alfred Music was now more than just a sheet music publisher; the company was taking its first steps to becoming the leader in music education. In 1975, the firm moved to larger offices in Los Angeles. In 1980, with growing sales, the company went international.
In 2002, the company partnered with Daisy Rock Girl Guitars, and in 2005 it acquired Warner Bros. Publications (including the Warner Bros. subsidiary company Belwin-Mills) from the Warner Music Group, again expanding its business.
As of 2016, Alfred Music is also paired with MakeMusic, which is part of Peaksware Holdings, LLC portfolio of companies, to transform how music is composed, published, taught, learned, and performed by bringing together the leaders in educational music publishing and music technology.
Behind the PlayerEdit
- Ferrisi, Dan (29 May 2012). "Ron Manus • CBO, Alfred Music Publishing". The Music & Sound Retailer. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Alfred to purchase Warner Bros. Publications," American Music Teacher, April–May 2005
- "Our History". Alfred Music. Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Alfred Music joins Peaksware, parent company of MakeMusic - Scoring Notes". Scoring Notes. 20 April 2016. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- "George Lynch: 'Behind The Player' Dvd Available". Blabbermouth.net. 2010-07-14. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- Alfred acquired by Peaksware Holdings, LLC Alfred Music, an educational music publisher, has announced that it is joining the Peaksware Holdings, LLC portfolio of companies
- Alfred Music joins Peaksware, parent company of MakeMusic
- Alfred Publishing
- Morton and Iris Manus NAMM Oral History Program (2003)
- Ron Manus Interview NAMM Oral History Program (2014)
- Steven Raft Interview NAMM Oral History Program (2014)
|This article about a music industry company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|