|Born||Alfred J. Menezes
1965 (age 52–53) 
|Known for||MOV attack on ECC
MQV key agreement, co-founder of Centre for Applied Cryptographic Research
|Alma mater||University of Waterloo (B.Math, 1987; M.Math, 1989; Ph.D., 1992)|
|Doctoral advisor||Scott Vanstone|
|Institutions||University of Waterloo|
Alfred Menezes' family is from Goa, a state in western India, but he was born in Tanzania and grew up in Kuwait except for a few years at a boarding school in India. His undergraduate and post-graduate degrees are from the University of Waterloo.:302
After five years teaching at Auburn University, in 1997 he returned to the University of Waterloo, where he is now a professor of mathematics in the Department of Combinatorics and Optimization. He co-founded and is a member of the Centre for Applied Cryptographic Research, and has served as its Managing Director. Menezes' main areas of research are Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC), provable security, and related areas. He is a Canadian citizen.
Menezes' book Elliptic Curve Public Key Cryptosystems, published in 1993, was the first book devoted entirely to ECC. He co-authored the widely-used reference book Handbook of Applied Cryptography. Menezes has been a conference organizer or program committee member for approximately fifty conferences on Cryptography. He was Program Chair for Crypto 2007, and in 2012 he was an invited speaker at Eurocrypt.
- Alfred J. Menezes, Paul C. van Oorschot and Scott A. Vanstone (1996). Handbook of Applied Cryptography. CRC Press. ISBN 0-8493-8523-7.
- Hankerson, D.; Vanstone, S.; Menezes, A. (2004). Guide to Elliptic Curve Cryptography. Springer Professional Computing. New York: Springer. doi:10.1007/b97644. ISBN 0-387-95273-X.
- Alfred J. Menezes (1993). Elliptic Curve Public Key Cryptosystems. Kluwer Academic Publishers. ISBN 0-7923-9368-6.
- Alfred Menezes, Ian Blake, Shuhong Gao, Ron Mullin, Scott Vanstone, and Tomik Yaghoobian (1993). Applications of Finite Fields. Kluwer Academic Publishers. ISBN 0-7923-9282-5.
- Another look at tightness (with S. Chatterjee and P. Sarkar). Proceedings of SAC 2011, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 7118 (2012), 293-319. Revised version.
- Parallelizing the Weil and Tate pairings (with D. Aranha, E. Knapp and F. Rodriguez-Henriquez) Cryptography and Coding 2011, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 7089 (2011), 275-295.
- Discrete logarithms, Diffie-Hellman, and reductions (with N. Koblitz and I. Shparlinski) Vietnam Journal of Mathematics, 39 (2011), 267-285.
- S. Blake-Wilson and A. Menezes, "Authenticated Diffie-Hellman key agreement protocols", Proceedings of the 5th Annual Workshop on Selected Areas in Cryptography, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1556, 339-361, 1999.
- S. Blake-Wilson and A. Menezes, "Unknown key-share attacks on the Station-to-Station (STS) protocol", Proceedings of Public Key Cryptography '99, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1560, 154-170, March 1999.
- D. Johnson and A. Menezes, "The elliptic curve digital signature algorithm (ECDSA)", Technical report CORR 99-34, Department of C&O, University of Waterloo, August 1999.
- A. Menezes and P. van Oorschot, "Information theory, coding theory and cryptology", Handbook of Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics, CRC Press, 1999, pages 889-954.
- S. Blake-Wilson and A. Menezes, "Entity authentication and authenticated key transport protocols employing asymmetric techniques", Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Security Protocols, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1361 (1998), 137-158.
- L. Law, A. Menezes, M. Qu, J. Solinas and S. Vanstone, "An efficient protocol for authenticated key agreement", Technical report CORR 98-05, Department of C&O, University of Waterloo, March 1998.
- A. Menezes, Y. Wu and R. Zuccherato, "An elementary introduction to hyperelliptic curves", appendix in Algebraic Aspects of Cryptography by Neal Koblitz, Springer-Verlag, 1998, pages 155-178.
- Cf. Library of Congress catalog data
- "Alfred Menezes: Mini-biography", Certicom company website
- Koblitz, Neal (2008). Random Curves: Journeys of a Mathematician. Springer-Verlag. ISBN 9783540740773.
- "Alfred Menezes". Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- Menezes, Alfred J. (1993). Elliptic Curve Public Key Cryptosystems. Kluwer Academic Publisher. ISBN 9780792393689.
- Menezes, Alfred J.; van Oorschot, Paul; Vanstone, Scott A. (1996). Handbook of Applied Cryptography. CRC Press. ISBN 0-8493-8523-7.
- "Professional Activities". Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- "Another look at provable security". Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- Alfred Menezes homepage - University of Waterloo