|Died||7 January 2020 (aged 93–94)|
Alexandre was the brother of mathematician Georges Matheron. He obtained a bachelor's degree in politics in 1949 and an agrégation in philosophy in 1956. The following year, he began teaching at the University of Algiers. He also left the French Communist Party, where he was very active. While in Algeria, Matheron decided to write his doctoral thesis on Spinoza. In 1963, he returned to Paris and enrolled at the French National Centre for Scientific Research to complete his doctoral degree under the direction of Martial Gueroult. His degree was completed in 1968.
His thesis, titled Individu et communauté chez Spinoza was officially published in 1969. Matheron published another work in 1971, titled Le Christ et le salut des Ignorants chez Spinoza.
- Individu et communauté chez Spinoza (1969)
- Le Christ et le salut des Ignorants chez Spinoza (1971)
- Anthropologie et politique au XVIIe siècle. Études sur Spinoza (1985)
- Études sur Spinoza et les philosophies à l'âge classique (2011)
- "Le philosophe Alexandre Matheron est mort". Le Monde (in French). 8 January 2020.
- "Les agrégés de l'enseignement secondaire. Répertoire 1809-1960". Ressources numériques en histoire de l'éducation (in French).
- Matheron, Alexandre (1997). "A propos de Spinoza" (Interview). Interviewed by Laurent Bove. Paris: Multitudes.