Alexander Yakobson (2009)
Якобсон, Александр Анатольевич
October 5, 1959
|Parent(s)||Anatoly Yakobson, Maya Ulanovskaya|
|Relatives||Nadezhda Ulanovskaya, Alexander Ulanovsky|
|Alma mater||Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
|Thesis||Elections, electoral systems and the function of electoral assemblies in the late Roman Republic (1995)|
|Doctoral advisor||Hanna M. Cotton|
|Other academic advisors||Israel Schatzman|
|Sub-discipline||Classical Greco-Roman History|
|Institutions||Hebrew University of Jerusalem|
Alexander Anatolyvich Yakobson was born on October 5, 1959, in Moscow. His parents were Soviet dissidents Anatoly Yakobson and Maya Ulanovskaya. His grandparents were Soviet spies Alexander Ulanovsky and Nadezhda Ulanovskaya. Yakobson immigrated to Israel with his family (mother, father, and grandmother) at age 13. He earned his degrees from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem: BA cum laude in History and Political Science (1985), MA in History (1989), and doctorate in Ancient History (1995). He also conducted postdoctoral research at the University of Cologne.
In 1995, Yakobson was appointed assistant professor of History at the University of Haifa through 1997. In 2000, he was appointed as a senior lecturer in history at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. In 2011, he was appointed associate professor of Ancient history at the Hebrew University.
Yakobson is a former Meretz activist and Peace Now member with a regular op-ed column in the newspaper Haaretz. He is a supporter of a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. He co-wrote Israel and the Family of Nations: The Jewish Nation State and Human Rights with former Israeli minister Amnon Rubinstein, which seeks to assert Israel's right to exist as a Jewish state.
- Yakobson, Alexander (1999). Elections and electioneering in Rome a study in the political system of the Late Republic. Steiner. p. 251. ISBN 3-515-07481-3.
- Yakobson, Alexander; Amnon Rubinstein (2008-09-08). Israel and the Family of Nations: The Jewish Nation-State and Human Rights (1 ed.). Routledge. p. 246. ISBN 0-415-46441-2.
- Yakobson, Alexander (2007-06-09). "Europe is not necessarily against us". Haaretz. Retrieved 2008-11-27.
- Yakobson, Alexander (2007-07-05). "Boycotter, boycott thyself". Bitterlemons. Retrieved 2008-11-27.
- Yakobson, Alexander (2007-07-24). "Detrimental semantics". Haaretz. Retrieved 2008-11-27.
- Yakobson, Alexander (2008-04-10). "The secret of the Israeli mosaic". Haaretz. Archived from the original on 2012-10-22. Retrieved 2008-11-27.
- Yakobson, Alexander (2008-06-11). "An obsolete monopoly". Haaretz. Retrieved 2008-11-27.
- Yakobson, Alexander (2008-08-06). "Someone is above the law". Haaretz. Retrieved 2008-11-27.
- Yakobson, Alexander (2008-09-17). "Dancing at Ben-Gurion airport". Haaretz. Retrieved 2008-11-27.
- What does Israel's Arab minority really think?, Alexander Yakobson, Fathom: For a deeper understanding of Israel and the region, 26 April 2013
- Alexander Yakobson's CV at the Hebrew University
|This biographical article about an Israeli historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|