Alexander Mikaberidze (Georgian: ალექსანდრე მიქაბერიძე; born 27 January 1978) is a Georgian lawyer, author and historian who specializes in Napoleonic studies, Russian history and Georgian history. He is a full professor of history and social sciences at Louisiana State University in Shreveport.
|Alma mater||Florida State Univ. Ph.D, 2003|
Tbilisi State University J.D, 1999
|Occupation||historian, author and academic|
Education and careerEdit
Mikaberidze was born in 1978 in Aktobe, Kazakh Soviet Socialist Republic, Soviet Union, where his parents worked. In 1990, they returned to the Georgian SSR, which gained independence in 1991.
He graduated from Tbilisi State University in 1999 with a degree in international law. From 1996 to 2000, he worked with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Georgia, where he handled human rights issues and relations with the Council of Europe.
Mikaberidze is a specialist on Napoleonic studies and the Napoleonic era. In 1999, Mikaberidze was one of the founding members of the Napoleonic Society of Georgia, dedicated to the study of the Revolutionary and Napoleonic eras (1799-1815). In 2000, he moved to the United States to devote himself to Napoleonic studies. Mikaberidze graduated with a Ph.D. in history in 2003 from the Institute on Napoleon and the French Revolution at Florida State University. He has taught at Florida State University and Mississippi State University, and lectured on strategy and policy at the U.S. Naval War College. Since 2007, he has been at Louisiana State University in Shreveport.
For his contributions to Napoleonic studies, Mikaberidze has been elected a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society of the United Kingdom. and awarded the International Napoleonic Society's Legion of Merit Medal and La Renaissance Française's Médaille d'or du Rayonnement Culturel.
Mikaberidze has been the author, editor and translator of over two dozen books and textbooks. His books The Russian Officer Corps in the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars, 1792-1815 and The Battle of Borodino: Napoleon versus Kutuzov won the Literary Award of the International Napoleonic Society for 2005 and 2007, respectively. His latest book, The Napoleonic Wars: A Global History, is forthcoming from Oxford University Press in 2018.
He has translated two books so far by 19th-century Russian lieutenant general and military historian Alexander Mikhailovsky-Danilevsky: The Russo-Swedish War of 1808-1809, Vol. 1 & 2 (2006) and The Russo-Turkish War of 1806-1812 (2002). Mikhailovsky-Danilevsky wrote four books on the Napoleonic Wars at the request of Tsar Nikolai I.
Mikaberidze penned a three-book series, Russian Eyewitness Accounts, based on reports of Russian participants of the Napoleonic Wars. He read more than 4,500 pages of Russian diaries, memoirs and reports to compile the final edition, published in 2015.
Additionally he has served the editor-in-chief of the periodical The Napoleonic Scholarship and an editor for the Consortium on the Revolutionary Era.
- The Napoleonic Wars: A Global History. London: Oxford University Press. 2018. ISBN 0-19-995106-3.
- Russian Eyewitness Accounts of the Campaign of 1807. London: Frontline Books. 2015. ISBN 978-1-84832-762-7.
- The Burning of Moscow: Napoleon's Trial By Fire 1812. London: Pen & Sword. 2014. ASIN B00OZ3HS2G.
- Atrocities, Massacres and War Crimes: An Encyclopedia. Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO. 2013. ISBN 978-1-59884-925-7.
- Russian Eyewitness Accounts of the Campaign of 1814. London: Frontline Books. 2013. ISBN 978-1-84832-707-8.
- Russian Eyewitness Accounts of the Campaign of 1812. London: Frontline Books. 2012. ISBN 978-1-84832-635-4.
- Conflict and Conquest in the Islamic World: A Historical Encyclopedia. ABC-CLIO. 2011. ISBN 978-1-59884-337-8.
- The A to Z of Georgia. Lanham, MA: Rowman & Littlefield/Scarecrow Press. 2010. ISBN 0-8108-7207-2.
- The Battle of the Berezina: Napoleon's Great Escape. London: Pen & Sword. 2010. ISBN 1-84415-920-5.
- The Battle of Borodino: Napoleon versus Kutuzov. London: Pen & Sword. 2007. ISBN 1-84415-603-6.
- Historical Dictionary of Georgia. Lanham, MA: Rowman & Littlefield/Scarecrow Press. 2007. ISBN 978-0-8108-5580-9.
- The Russian Officer Corps in the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars, 1792-1815. New York: Savas Beatie. 2007. ISBN 978-1-932714-02-9.
- ადამიანის უფლებებისა და ძირითადი თავისებურებების დაცვა ევროპის საბჭოს ფარგლებში: ადამიანის უფლებათა ევროპული სასამართლო [Protection of Human Rights and Basic Freedoms within the Council of Europe Framework: European Court on Human Rights], Judge's Library Series. Tbilisi: GCI. 2000.
- "Alex Mikaberidze". Louisiana State University in Shreveport. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- "Mikaberidze, Alexander". Library of Congress. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- Alexander Mikaberidze. «Лев русской армии» ["Lion of the Russian Army"] (in Russian). Museum.ru. Archived from the original on 20 April 2015. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- ლექსანდრე მიქაბერიძე [Alexander Mikaberidze]. National Parliamentary Library of Georgia. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- ალექსანდრე მიქაბერიძის წიგნებით ამერიკულ უნივერსიტეტებში ასწავლიან. Kviris Palitra. 29 September 2011. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- "About". The Napoleonic Society of Georgia. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- Monaselidze, Eter (4 February 2014). „კადნიერი“ ქართველი ახალგაზრდა, რომლის წიგნებით ამერიკის უნივერსიტეტებში ასწავლიან. Sazogadoeba.Ge. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- Archer Kent, Kate (4 February 2015). "LSU Shreveport historian completes Russian war memoirs anthology". Red River Radio. Retrieved 19 August 2015.