Milad Alexandre Mack Atala (born June 3, 1968), known as Alex Atala, is a Brazilian chef of Irish and Palestinian ancestry, who runs the restaurant D.O.M. (Latin abbreviation of Deo optimo maximo) in São Paulo. In May 2012, D.O.M. was rated the 4th best restaurant in the world by the S.Pellegrino World's 50 Best Restaurants, published by Restaurant magazine. His establishment also holds the title of "Acqua Panna Best Restaurant In South America." He's known for transforming traditional Brazilian dishes, adapting French and Italian culinary techniques to native Brazilian ingredients. Atala also hosted a television show on Brazilian TV channel GNT. In 2013, he founded Atá, an institute about relation with food, with Roberto Smeraldi and Carlos Alberto Ricardo, among others. In 2019, Atala and his institute were accused of misappropriating the name "Cerrado vanilla" by registering it as a commercial name at the Brazilian Institute for Industrial Property (INPI), without prior consultation to rural communities who traditionally use the ingredient in their food cultures. In 2020, Atala was accused of sexual harrasement by a former employee.
Milad Alexandre Mack Atala
3 June 1968
|Known for||Chef of D.O.M.|
- Alex Atala – Yes we have Priprioca, and much more! - S. Pellegrino World's 50 Best Restaurants, by Luciana Bianchi
- "The World's 50 Best Restaurants | The List and Awards". UI - 50B - Restaurants - GLOBAL. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2018-04-29. Retrieved 2018-05-24.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Alex Atala registra marcas da baunilha do Cerrado, alimento tradicional dos quilombolas
- Polêmica: Alex Atala e quilombolas divergem sobre Baunilha do Cerrado[permanent dead link]
- "o dito cujo". Boteco do JB. 2020-05-20. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
- Chef Alex Atala é acusado de assédio sexual; advogado de defesa nega[permanent dead link]
- Morabito, Greg (2018-09-28). "'Chef's Table': Alex Atala's Journey From Punk Rocker to Brazilian Culinary Superstar". Eater. Retrieved 2021-03-07.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Alex Atala|