Albert William Herre
Albert William Christian Theodore Herre
|Born||September 16, 1868|
Toledo, Ohio, U.S.
|Died||January 16, 1962 (aged 93)|
Santa Cruz, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||Stanford University|
|Known for||description of many new Philippine fish species|
|Fields||ichthyology, lichenology, ecology|
|Institutions||Bureau of Science in Manila, Stanford University, University of Washington|
|Author abbrev. (botany)||Herre|
|Author abbrev. (zoology)||Herre|
Herre was born in 1868 in Toledo, Ohio.
Work in the PhilippinesEdit
Albert W. Herre was perhaps best known for his taxonomic work in the Philippines, where he was the Chief of Fisheries of the Bureau of Science in Manila from 1919 to 1928. While in the Bureau of Science of the Insular Government of the Philippine Islands (which were administered by the United States at the time), Herre was responsible for discovering and describing many new species of fish.
- Herre, A. W. (1927). "Gobies of the Philippines and the China sea". The Philippine Bureau of Science, Monographic Publications on Fishes. Manila:Bureau of Printing. 23: 78.
- Herre, A. W. (1925). "Notes on Philippine Sharks, II. The great white shark, the whale shark, and the cat sharks and their allies in the Philippines". Philippine Journal of Fisheries. Manila:Bureau of Printing. 26 (1): 113–129.
- Herre, A. W. (1924). "Distribution of the true fresh-water fishes in Philippines I: The Philippine Cyprinidae". Philippine Journal of Science. Manila:Bureau of Printing. 24 (3): 249–307.
- Wiggins, Ira L. (1962). "Albert William Christian Theodore Herre (1868-1962)". The Bryologist. American Bryological and Lichenological Society. 65 (4): 268–277. doi:10.1639/0007-2745(1962)65[268:AWCTH]2.0.CO;2. JSTOR 3240725.
- Melchor F. Cichon. "Dr. Albert Herre: A Pioneer in Philippine Fisheries Science". Otolith, October–December 1986, pp. 11-12. Retrieved 3 July 2018.
- Abdoun, Hany. "Albert William Christian Theodore Herre". Special Collections - Biographical Sketch. California Academy of Sciences. Archived from the original on 2007-06-14. Retrieved 2007-01-31.
- Pietsch, T. W.; W. D. Anderson, Jr. (editors) (1997). "Albert William Christian Theodore Herre (1868-1962): A brief autobiography and a bibliography of his ichthyological and fishery science publications, with a foreword by George S. Myers(1905-1985); Collection Building in Ichthyology and Herpetology". American Society of Ichthyology and Herpetology, Special Publications. 3: 351–366.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Beolens, Bo; Watkins, Michael; Grayson, Michael (2011). The Eponym Dictionary of Reptiles. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. xiii + 296 pp. ISBN 978-1-4214-0135-5. ("Herre", p. 122).