Born in Sofia, Stambolova studied French language at Sofia University. Living in Paris in the 1990s, she graduated in psychology at Paris Diderot University and taught at Dauphine University and at Sorbonne Nouvelle. She has now returned to Bulgaria where she works as a psychotherapist.
Warmly acclaimed by the critics, Stambolova's 2002 novel Това е както става (translated as Everything Happens as it Does) is an assemblage of seven love stories showing how everything will turn out exactly as intended. Her next novel, Хоп-хоп звездите (Hip-Hop Stars, 2003), was followed by Авантюра, за да мине времето, изд (An Adventure to Pass the Time, 2007). She has also published a collection of short stories and a psychoanalytical analysis of Marguerite Duras: Боледуване в смъртта - психоаналитичен прочит на Маргарит Дюрас (1994). Her translations into English cover works by Tzvetan Todorov, Claude Lévi-Strauss and Julia Kristeva.
- 1995: Многоточия (Ellipses), lyrical prose
- 2002: Това е както става, novel, 2002, translated as Everything Happens as it Does (2013)
- 2003: Хоп-хоп звездите, (Hip-Hop Stars), novel
- 2007: Авантюра, за да мине времето, (Adventure to Pass the Time), novel
- 1994: Боледуване в смъртта - психоаналитичен прочит на Маргарит Дюрас, (Illness in Death - a psychoanalytical analysis of Marguerite Duras)