African Union Commission
The Commission of the African Union acts as the executive/administrative branch or secretariat of the AU (and is somewhat analogous to the European Commission). It consists of a number of Commissioners dealing with different areas of policy. The Commission is headquartered in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. It should be distinguished from the African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights, (based in Banjul, Gambia), which is a separate body that reports to the African Union.
On September 13, 2005 an agreement was reached by the Commission and France whereby France would donate €5 million for the furtherance of African Union activities. Some of the initiatives this money will go to are an African Communication Policy and an African Common Defence Force. The signatory on behalf of the Commission was Bernard Zoba.
- Moussa Faki is Chairman of the Commission, replacing Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma in January 2017.
- Thomas Kwesi Quartey is Deputy Chairman.
- Directorate of Conference Management and Publications is headed by Nedjat Khellaf
- Directorate of Peace and Security is headed by Ramtane Lamamra
- Directorate of Political Affairs is headed by Julia Dolly Joiner
- Directorate of Infrastructure and Energy is headed by Elham Mahmood Ibrahim
- Directorate of Social Affairs is headed by Amira Elfadi
- Directorate of Human Resources, Science and Technology is headed by Nagia Essayed
- African Union High Representative for Infrastructure Development is Raila Odinga since October 2018. Prior to this, the Directorate of Trade and Industry was headed by Elisabeth Tankeu.
- Directorate of Rural Economy and Agriculture is headed by Rosebud Kurwijila
- Directorate of Economic Affairs is headed by Maxwell Mkwezalamba
- Office of the Legal Counsel is headed by Ben Kioko
- "Morocco to rejoin African Union despite Western Sahara dispute". Bbc.ocm. January 30, 2017. Retrieved August 11, 2017 – via www.bbc.com.
- Nyabor, Jonas (January 30, 2017). "Ghana's Kwasi Quartey elected Deputy Chair of AU". Citifmonline.com. Retrieved August 11, 2017.