Addiction is a monthly peer-reviewed scientific journal established in 1884 by the Society for the Study of Addiction to Alcohol and other Drugs. It covers original research relating to alcohol, illicit drugs, tobacco, and behavioural addictions. The Editor in Chief is Robert West of University College London. Its Regional Editors are: Europe, Africa and Asia - John Marsden of Kings College London; The Americas - Keith Humphreys of Stanford University; and Australasia – Shane Darke of the University of New South Wales.
|Edited by||Robert West|
Addiction publishes research reports, reviews, commentaries and letters relating to all aspects of addictive behaviours. It aims to go beyond being just a repository for articles by helping to advance the field in terms of methods and impact on policy and practice. To that end it is active in commissioning articles. The Commissioning Editor is Jo Neale from Kings College London.
Addiction aims to create a community of practice involving its 40 Senior Editors and 142 Associate Editors in regular consultations about strategic issues affecting the field.
Unlike many other scientific journals, Addiction is owned by a non-profit, charitable, scholarly organisation: The Society for the Study of Addiction. The journal is published by Wiley under contract, and the large majority of income from the journal goes to the Society, which uses it to fund projects, bursaries, PhD students and an endowed chair.
Addiction is a hybrid journal based on a subscription model with the option for authors to purchase open access. Most commissioned material is provided free to view.
According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2016 impact factor of 5.789, ranking it first out of 34 journals in the category "Substance Abuse" and 15th out of 142 journals in the category of "Psychiatry". It is also ranked 1st out of 29 journals in the Social Sciences category "Substance Abuse" and 12th out of 107 journals in the Social Sciences category "Psychiatry". Addiction’s 2018 impact factor is 6.85.
- "Aims & scope". Archived from the original on 2008-03-11. Retrieved 2008-02-27.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Substance Abuse". 2010 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2012.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Psychiatry". 2010 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2012.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Substance Abuse". 2010 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Social Sciences ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2012.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Psychiatry". 2010 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Social Sciences ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2012.
- "Addiction Journal - Performance Indicators". www.addictionjournal.org. Retrieved 2019-07-09.