Addiction (Glenn Hughes album)
Addiction is a studio album by former Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Trapeze vocalist/bassist Glenn Hughes. It was released in 1996 on Zero Corporation, SPV and Shrapnel records and was Hughes’ fifth solo studio album.
|Studio album by|
|Released||10 June 1996|
|Genre||Hard rock, heavy metal|
70:28 (US version)
Zero Corporation (Japan)
Shrapnel Records (US)
|Glenn Hughes chronology|
Unlike 1994’s Feel, which had a lighter sound with definite pop, soul and funk influences, Addiction was a definite hard rock record, at times bordering on heavy metal. It is generally considered Hughes’ heaviest solo album, both musically and topically. Hughes describes the period of his life when he made the album as a dark one; various issues he was going through are addressed in the songs. Many of them focus on the drug addictions that marred Hughes’ life throughout the 80s.
Guitarist and songwriter Marc Bonilla had a major contribution on the album, performing, co-producing and co-writing nine of the ten songs. This is also Hughes’ first album to feature long-time guitarist and co-songwriter Joakim ‘JJ’ Marsh. Marsh (from Sweden) has played guitar on every subsequent Hughes solo album to date and has toured with him on many occasions.
The US version of the album was issued with three bonus live tracks; these consisted of two Trapeze songs; Way Back To The Bone (from You Are the Music...We're Just the Band) and Touch My Life (from Medusa) as well as the Deep Purple song You Fool No One (from Burn).
The track Talk About It was subsequently released as a single in the form on the Talk About It EP, a CD which included three previously unreleased live tracks.
- "Death Of Me" – 3:46 (Bonilla)
- "Down" – 4:43 (Axelsson, Bonilla, Hughes, Marsh)
- "Addiction" – 4:26 (Bonilla, Hughes)
- "Madeleine" – 4:48 (Axelsson, Bonilla, Hughes, Marsh)
- "Talk About It" – 4:48 (Bonilla, Hughes)
- "I'm Not Your Slave" – 3:51 (Bonilla, Hughes)
- "Cover Me" – 4:52 (Bonilla, Hughes)
- "Blue Jade" – 7:14 (Hughes, Marsh)
- "Justified Man" – 3:41 (Bonilla, Hughes)
- "I Don't Want To Live That Way Again" – 8:18 (Bonilla, Hughes)
US Bonus TracksEdit
- "Way Back To The Bone (live)" – 6:34 (Hughes)
- "Touch My Life (live)" – 4:34 (Galley, Galley)
- "You Fool No One (live)" – 8:53 (Blackmore, Coverdale, Hughes, Lord, Paice)
The Japanese release has a different running order of the tracks: 6,7,3,4,5,1,2,8,9,10.
- Glenn Hughes – vocals, bass
- Marc Bonilla – guitars, keyboards
- Joakim Marsh – guitars
- Joe Travers – drums
- R. Gaylor – vocal channeling
- Ronnie Montrose – slide guitar on "Justified Man"
Live Bonus TracksEdit
- MelodicRock.com Archived August 8, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- "Addiction - Glenn Hughes | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- Lab, Avalon Media. "g l e n n h u g h e s . c o m". www.glennhughes.com. Retrieved 18 November 2016.