Action Lab Comics
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Action Lab Entertainment (also known as Action Lab Comics or ALE), is an American publisher of comic books, known primarily for the publication of the all-ages fantasy title Princeless, as well as a wide range of titles from all genres. The company is also known for embracing digital comics and is recognized as one of the first publishers to release a digital-only Free Comic Book Day title.
|Founder||Shawn Pryor, Dave Dwonch, Shawn Gabborin|
|Shawn Pryor, Dave Dwonch, Shawn Gabborin, Chad Cicconi|
Action Lab Entertainment was founded in October, 2010 by Shawn Pryor, Dave Dwonch and Shawn Gabborin. All three of the founding members had prior experience in self-publishing and had worked together to publish small press comic books under Pryor's PKD Media imprint.
Action Lab's first release was Back In The Day, an original graphic novel written by Dave Dwonch, with art by Daniel J. Logan (an artist who had also previously worked with PKD Media), and released in February, 2011. This inaugural publication was available for pre-order through Discount Comic Book Service and marked the company's first foray into nationwide distribution.
During the same time period as Back In The Day's launch, Pryor ran a Kickstarter fundraiser to both promote and gather funds for the company's second title, Fracture, described as a "superhero dark comedy"; Fracture was written by Shawn Gabborin, with art by Chad Cicconi and Dave Dwonch. Pryor's campaign surpassed its funding goal by nearly 10%, allowing Action Lab to schedule the book's first issue for a July, 2011 release; the release would also mark Action Lab's entrance into the direct market.
In October 2011, the company released two books: the horror-suspense one-shot Snowed In, written by Shawn Gabborin with art by Rick Lundeen, and the first issue of the all-ages fantasy title Princeless, written by Jeremy Whitley, with art by Mia Goodwin. Princeless, featuring the teenage Princess Adrienne (a princess who decides that she does not need a prince to rescue her and becomes a hero in her own right), became a major hit for the company, garnering five nominations in the 2012 Glyph Comics Awards ("Story of the Year", "Best Writer", "Best Artist", "Best Female Character" and "Best Cover") and two nominations at the 2012 Eisner Awards ("Best Single Issue" and "Best Publication for Kids"), giving the company both industry and worldwide recognition.
Also in October, 2011, Action Lab launched Globworld, its first digital-only title, based on the MMORPG specifically designed for children. This release also marked the company's first use of licensed characters and was also its first cross-company tie in.
February, 2012, marked Action Lab's largest single-month expansion since the publisher's inception, in which they released two graphic novels and a trade paperback: the graphic novels Exo-1 and the Rock-Solid Steelbots, with story and art by Daniel J. Logan, and script by Shawn Pryor, and Monsters Are Just Like Us, with story and art by SuperUgly, and Space-Time Condominum, a trade paperback collecting the first "season" of Dave Dwonch's webcomic of the same name. All three were released as part of the "Signature Series" line, which includes individual numbering and hand-signatures for each copy. Action Lab also announced at this time that it had taken over the publication of the series Jack Hammer, written by Brandon Barrows with art by Ionic, from the small-press publisher Reasonably Priced Comics, and that it would be part of the "Signature Series".
- Aberrant - Written by Rylend Grant, Art by Davi Leon Dias. Ten-issue series, released June 2018.
- Action Lab Confidential - Various Creators. Digital-only sampler book, released May 2012.
- Back In The Day - Written by Dave Dwonch, Art by Daniel J. Logan. Original graphic novel, released April 2011.
- Banjax - Written by Rylend Grant, Art by Fabio Alvez. Four-issue limited series, released June 2019.
- Double Jumpers - Written by Dave Dwonch, Art by Bill Blankenship. Four-issue limited series, released May 2012 - December 2012.
- EXO-1 and the Rock-Solid Steelbots - Story & Art by Daniel J. Logan, Script by Shawn Pryor. Original graphic novel, released February 2012.
- The F1rst Hero - Written by Anthony Ruttgaizer, Art by Phillip Sevy (Vol.1), Danny Zabbal (Vol.2), Marco Renna (Vol.3), Letters/Colors by Fred C Stresing. Ongoing series, released August 2014.
- Fracture - Written by Shawn Gabborin, Art by Chad Cicconi & Dave Dwonch. Three-issue limited series, released July 2011 - September 2011.
- Going to the Chapel - Written by David Pepose, Art by Gavin Guidry. Four-issue limited series, released September 2019 - February 2020.
- Globworld - Various Creators. Digital-only, five-issue limited series (#0 - #4), released October 2011 - February 2012.
- Herald: Lovecraft & Tesla - Written by John Reilly; Art by Tom Rogers; Inks, Colors, Letters by Dexter Weeks. Ongoing series, released December 2014.
- Hero Cats of Stellar City - Written by Kyle Puttkammer, Art by Marcus Williams, Inks by Ryan Sellers, Colors by Omaka Schultz. ongoing series, released August 2014.
- I, Mage - Story & Letters by Gary Turner, Art by Carlos E. Gomez & Mel Bontrager, Colors by Eddy-Swan. ongoing series, released January 2016.
- Jack Hammer, Volume 1: "Political Science" - Written by Brandon Barrows, Art by Ionic. Trade paperback, released June 2012.
- Jetta: Tales of the Toshigawa - Story & Art by Martheus Wade. Digital-only collection, released May 2012.
- Kids of the Round Table - Written by Robert Tinnell and Aaron J. Shelton, Art by Brendon Fraim and Brian Fraim. Four-issue mini-series, released May 2015 - September 2015.
- Monsters Are Just Like Us - Story & Art by SuperUgly. Original graphic novel, released February 2012.
- Nutmeg - Art & Colors by Jackie Crofts, Colors by Josh Eckert, Words by James F. Wright. Twelve-issue series, released January 2015 - November 2017.
- Princeless - Written by Jeremy Whitley, Art by Mia Goodwin. Four-issue limited series, released October 2011 - February 2012.
- Snowed In - Written by Shawn Gabborin, Art by Rick Lundeen. One-shot, released October 2011.
- Space-Time Condominium' - Story & Art by Dave Dwonch. Trade paperback, released February 2012.
- Spencer & Locke - Written by David Pepose, Art by Jorge Santiago, Jr. Four-issue limited series, released April 2017 - August 2017.
- Spencer & Locke 2 - Written by David Pepose, Art by Jorge Santiago, Jr. Four-issue limited series, released May 2019 - August 2019.
- http://www.actionlabcomics.com/2011/07/28/action-lab-acquires-digital-comics-distribution/[permanent dead link] Action Lab Comics blog post regarding digital distribution, Accessed 4/8/12
- http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/04/shawn-pryor-on-action-labs-digital-fcbd-comic/ Comic Book Resources interview with publisher Shawn Pryor, accessed 4/8/12
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-17. Retrieved 2012-04-08.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) "welcome" post on Action Lab blog, Accessed 4/8/12
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-09. Retrieved 2012-04-08.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) Action Lab "About" page, Accessed 4/8/12
- http://spacetimecondo.com/2010/12/08/sorry-about-the-delay/[permanent dead link] Dave Dwonch's blog regarding current projects, Accessed 4/8/12
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-03-01. Retrieved 2012-04-08.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) Pre-Order announcement for Back In The Day, posted 2/6/11 on Action Lab's website. Accessed 4/8/12.
- http://www.thedaonline.com/a-e/action-lab-entertainment-to-release-first-comic-1.2256187[permanent dead link] Daily Athenaeum Newspaper article May 25, 2011. Accessed 4/8/12
- http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/23808096/action-lab-entertainment-presents-fracture Fracture Kickstarter page, Accessed 4/8/12
- http://www.majorspoilers.com/sneak-peek-snowed-in Major Spoilers, Sneak Peek at Action Lab's October titles. Accessed 4/8/12
- http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/03/2011-glyph-comics-awards-nominees-announced-2/ Comic Book Resources 2012 Glyph Awards Nominations Accessed 4/8/12
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-08-13. Retrieved 2017-03-07.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) San Diego Comic Con official website, Eisner Awards 2012. Accessed 4/8/12
- http://globworld.com/blog/2011/10/07/globworld-comic-book-to-release-next-thursday-oct-13/ Globworld.com's official press release, accessed 4/8/12
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-04-08.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) Action Lab announces the "Signature Series", Accessed 4/8/12
- http://comicrelated.com/news/15119/who-is-jack-hammer Archived 2012-05-19 at the Wayback Machine Action Lab's Jack Hammer teaser posted on Comic Related, accessed 4/8/12
- "Well, then...2012 News". Brandon Barrows Comics blog. 2012-02-14. Retrieved 2012-04-08.
As of late 2011, Jack Hammer has moved to Action Lab Comics.
- "Action Lab Launches First NFL Rush Zone Comic Book at Super Bowl XLVII". Comic Book Resources. 2013-01-31.