Academy of Contemporary Music
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Academy of Contemporary Music (ACM) is a music academy in Guildford, Surrey, England providing its own contemporary music-based courses and partnering three public institutions, one college and two universities in respect of many of their contemporary music courses.
|The Academy of Contemporary Music|
|Motto||World Leaders in Music Industry Education|
The school of music has a focus on rock, pop music, electronic dance music and a vocational approach. The school has links with Guildford's Electric Theatre, Guildford College, Middlesex University and University of Surrey.
The Academy of Contemporary Music was the brainchild of guitar tutor Phil Brookes. In the 2000s, the academy partnered with three educational establishments for awarding qualifications. These are Guildford College which grants BTEC/Edexcel awards for the lower discipline, Middlesex University and the University of Surrey. The latter validate the Certificate in Higher Education for the intermediate discipline, award degrees at BA (Hons) and BMus (Hons) through to an MA (Masters) in contemporary music in partnership with ACM.
In May 2008 ACM was awarded The Queen's Award for Enterprise: Innovation (Technology) (2008). In late 2009, with support from The University of Central Oklahoma, ACM opened a base outside of the UK in Downtown Oklahoma City, appointing Scott Booker as Executive Director.
Alumni / former students of ACM (including academic music courses in which vocational placements were made with ACM) include:
- Newton Faulkner, guitarist/singer/songwriter whose album Hand Built By Robots went to number one in the UK Album Charts.
- Amelle Berrabah, member of girl group The Sugababes.
- Ben King, lead guitarist with The Yardbirds.
- Guy Davis, of rock group Reuben.
- Ed Sheeran, singer/songwriter, Ivor Novello, Brit Award and Grammy winner
- Zomboy, dubstep producer
- Ryan Fletcher and Joel Peat of the band Lawson
- Molly Smitten-Downes, Singer-Songwriter and the United Kingdom's Eurovision Song Contest 2014 entry
- Dominic Lyne, author
- Rabea Massaad, guitarist (Dorje and Toska)
- "ACM Website: About Us Page". Archived from the original on 9 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-18.
- "ACM Website: Home Page". Archived from the original on 16 April 2007. Retrieved 2007-04-19.
- Tim Edwards (2006-03-23). "The Independent: Contemporary music academies give stars of future a chance to be heard". Archived from the original on 2007-04-21. Retrieved 2007-04-19.
- Queen's Award - Innovation Archived 2012-03-06 at the Wayback Machine at Business Link
- "ACM Partner With Metropolis - MusicTech". 26 September 2013.
- "ACM Website: Students Into Industry". Archived from the original on 2008-01-18. Retrieved 2007-04-19.