Abu Qash (Arabic: ابو قش) is a Palestinian village located in the Ramallah and al-Bireh Governorate in the northern West Bank, located north of Ramallah and south of the Birzeit University. According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics, it had a population of approximately 1,404 in 2007.[2]

Abu Qash
Arabic transcription(s)
 • Arabicابو قش
 • LatinAbu Qash (official)
Abu Qashsh (unofficial)
Abu Qash is located in State of Palestine
Abu Qash
Abu Qash
Location of Abu Qash within Palestine
Coordinates: 31°57′04″N 35°11′03″E / 31.95111°N 35.18417°E / 31.95111; 35.18417Coordinates: 31°57′04″N 35°11′03″E / 31.95111°N 35.18417°E / 31.95111; 35.18417
Palestine grid167/150
StateState of Palestine
GovernorateRamallah and al-Bireh
 • TypeMunicipality
 • Total1,404
Name meaningthe father of Kǔsh (a bucket)[1]


Abu Qash is located 5.3 kilometers (3.3 mi) north of Ramallah. It is bordered by Surda and Jifna to the east, Bir Zeit to the north, Al-Zaytouneh and Ramallah to the west, and by Ramallah and Surda to the south.[3]


Two tombs, dating to the Byzantine era have been located here.[4]

Sherds from the Byzantine and Mamluk eras have been found here.[4]

Ottoman eraEdit

Sherds from the early Ottoman era have also been found here.[4] In 1838 it was noted by Edward Robinson as a Muslim village, Abu Kush, in Beni Harith district, north of Jerusalem.[5]

In 1863 Victor Guérin noted it as "A hamlet of about twenty houses, situated on a high hill, the slopes of which are partly covered with vines, olive trees and fig trees."[6]

An Ottoman village list of about 1870 indicated that the village had 25 houses and a population of 78, though the population count included men, only. It was further noted that it was located just west of Surda.[7][8]

In 1882 the PEF's Survey of Western Palestine (SWP) described Abu Kush as: "a very small hamlet, with a well on the north, on an ancient road, with a few olives near."[9]

In 1896 the population of Abu Kusch was estimated to be about 204 persons.[10]

British Mandate eraEdit

Agricultural terraces in 1942 (British Mandate)

In the 1922 census of Palestine, conducted by the British Mandate authorities, the population of Abu Qash was 171 Muslims,[11] increasing in the 1931 census to 246 inhabitants, in 49 houses.[12]

In the 1945 statistics Abu Qash had a population of 300 Muslims,[13] and a total land area of 4,751 dunams.[14] 1,166 dunams were for plantations and irrigable land, 1,447 were for cereals,[15] while 42 dunams were built-up areas.[16]

Jordanian eraEdit

In the wake of the 1948 Arab–Israeli War, and after the 1949 Armistice Agreements, Abu Qosh came under Jordanian rule. It was annexed by Jordan in 1950.

In 1961, the population was 510.[17]


Since the Six-Day War in 1967, Abu Qash has been under Israeli occupation.

After the 1995 Oslo II accords, 99.8% of Abu Qash land was classified as Area B land and the remaining 0.2% as Area C.[18]


  1. ^ Palmer, 1881, p. 221
  2. ^ 2007 PCBS Census. Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics. p.113.
  3. ^ Abu Qash Village profile, ARIJ, p. 5
  4. ^ a b c Finkelstein et al, 1997, p. 411
  5. ^ Robinson and Smith, 1841, vol 3, Appendix 2, p. 124
  6. ^ Guérin, 1869, p. 34
  7. ^ Socin, 1879, p. 149 It was noted to be in the Beni Harit district
  8. ^ Hartmann, 1883, p. 126 also noted 25 houses
  9. ^ Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 293
  10. ^ Schick, 1896, p. 123 Note that Schick mistakenly writes that it was missed in the Socin list.
  11. ^ Barron, 1922, Table VII, Sub-district of Ramalllah, p. 16
  12. ^ Mills, 1932, p.47
  13. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics, 1945, p. 26
  14. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 64.
  15. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 111
  16. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 161
  17. ^ Government of Jordan, 1964, p. 24
  18. ^ Abu Qash Village profile, ARIJ, p. 17


External linksEdit