Abu Imran Musa ibn Isa ibn abi hajj (or hajjaj) al-Fasi (Arabic: أبو عمران موسى بن عيسى بن أبي الحاج الفاسي) (also simply known as Abu Imran al-Fasi; born between 975 and 978, died 8 June 1039) was a Moroccan Maliki faqīh born at Fez to a Berber or Arab family whose nisba is impossible to reconstruct.
Abu Imran al-Fasi
Abu Imran al-Fasi was probably born between 975 and 978 at Fes. He went to Ifriqiya, where he settled in Kairouan and studied under al-Kabisi (died 1012). With al-Kabisi, he introduced the young Ibn Sharaf to poetry. Some time later, he stayed in Cordova with Ibn Abd al-Barr and followed the lectures of various scholars there, which his biographers list. He is regarded a saint by later Sufi mystics. He played an important role in the history of the Almoravid dynasty. It was his teaching in Qayrawan (Tunisia) that first stirred Yahya ibn Ibrahim, who was returning from the Pilgrimage and attended Abu Imran's courses. This inspired the foundation of the Almoravids. He wrote a commentary on the Mudawana of Sahnun.
Qadi Ayyad (d.544/1129), author of the Kitab Shifa bitarif huquq al-Mustapha (The Antidote in knowing the rights of the Chosen Prophet), hagiographied Abu Imran al-Fasi in his Tadrib a-Madarik (Exercising Perception), an encyclopaedia of Maliki scholars.
- "حول العقيدة الأشعرية". Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- Pellat, Ch. (2004). "Abū ʿImrān al-Fāsī". In Bearman, P.; Bianquis, Th.; Bosworth, C.E.; van Donzel, E.; Heinrichs, W.P. (eds.). Encyclopaedia of Islam. XII (2nd ed.). Leiden, Netherlands: Brill Publishers. p. 27. ISBN 9004139745.
- hopley, russell (2012), Akyeampong, Emmanuel K; Gates, Henry Louis (eds.), "Fasi, Abu ʿImran al-", Dictionary of African Biography, Oxford University Press, doi:10.1093/acref/9780195382075.001.0001, ISBN 978-0-19-538207-5, retrieved 2020-08-01
- Pellat, Ch. (2004). "Abū ʿImrān al-Fāsī". In Bearman, P.; Bianquis, Th.; Bosworth, C.E.; van Donzel, E.; Heinrichs, W.P. (eds.). Encyclopaedia of Islam. XII (2nd ed.). Leiden, Netherlands: Brill Publishers. p. 26. ISBN 9004139745.
- Pellat, Charles (1971). "Ibn Sharaf al-Ḳayrawānī". In Lewis, B.; Ménage, V. L.; Pellat, Ch. & Schacht, J. (eds.). The Encyclopaedia of Islam, New Edition, Volume III: H–Iram. Leiden: E. J. Brill. pp. 936–937. OCLC 495469525.
- "Rethinking the Almoravids", in: Julia Ann Clancy-Smith North Africa, Islam and the Mediterranean World, Routledge, 2001, p. 60-61