Abdul Jabbar Khan (director)
Abdul Jabbar Khan (1916 – 29 December 1993) was a Bangladeshi filmmaker. He was credited with directing Mukh O Mukhosh (1956), the first Bengali-language film ever made in the then East Pakistan (currently Bangladesh). The library of Bangladesh Film Development Corporation was named Abdul Jabbar Khan Library after him.
Abdul Jabbar Khan
আব্দুল জব্বার খান
|Died||29 December 1993(aged 76–77)|
|Alma mater||Ahsanullah School of Engineering|
Early life and educationEdit
Abdul Jabbar khan was born in masadgoan village in the Lohajang upazila of Munshiganj (Bikrampur)district in 1916. During his school days, Khan performed in plays like "Behula", "Vishwamangal", "Satirtha", "Samajpati", "Matir Ghar", and "Sohrab Rustam". In 1941, he earned a diploma from Ahsanullah School of Engineering.
Khan founded Kamlapur Dramatic Association.
Mukh O MukhoshEdit
In 1953, at a cultural program, F. Dossani, a non-Bengali film producer, remarked that “The climate of this land is not fit for making movies.” Khan then decided to make a film based on his play "Dakaat". Khan released the film in Roopmahal Movie Theatre in Dhaka with the title Mukh O Mukhosh (The Face and the Mask) on 3 August 1956. He was the director, screenwriter and the lead actor of the film.
- Bangladesh Film Journalists Association Award
- FDC Silver Jubilee Medal
- Uttaran Medal
- Hiralala Sen Memorial Medal
- Gold Medal of the Bikrampur Foundation
- Islam, Sirajul (2012). "Khan, Abdul Jabbar". In Islam, Sirajul; Ayub Hossain, Ayub (eds.). Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "60th anniversary of Mukh O Mukhosh". mna.com.bd. 3 August 2016. Archived from the original on 2 February 2017. Retrieved 23 January 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Karim Waheed (12 August 2005). "Remembering Mukh O Mukhosh and Abdul Jabbar Khan". The Daily Star. Retrieved 23 January 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Bangladesh Cinema steps into 60 yrs". The Independent. Dhaka. 4 August 2015. Retrieved 23 January 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)