Aamis (Assamese: আমিষ, lit. 'Meat') is a 2019 Indian Assamese-language feature film written and directed by Bhaskar Hazarika. The film stars debutantes Lima Das and Arghadeep Baruah in the lead, supported by Neetali Das, Sagar Saurabh, and Manash K Das.
|Directed by||Bhaskar Hazarika|
|Produced by||Poonam Deol|
|Written by||Bhaskar Hazarika|
|Music by||Quan Bay|
|Edited by||Shweta Rai Chamling|
Signum Productions, Metanormal, Wishberry Films
Aamis received its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival where it was nominated in five categories in the festival's "International Narrative" section. The film is scheduled for theatrical release on 22 November 2019.
A PhD student, Sumon, who researches meat eating habits of people in north eastern India starts connecting with a doctor, Nirmali, upon their mutual interest of consuming different types of meats and exploring on its taste. This bizarre relationship leads to a platonic connection between the two. Soon Sumon starts feeding her his own flesh and to Nirmali's shock she likes it. She starts craving human flesh. When she realises her addiction, she tells Sumon that she wants to end it. For that, she needs to eat a big chunk of human meat that will fill her hunger and her cravings will stop. Therefore Sumon kills a rickshaw driver but is caught by police while cutting the limbs of the dead body. Police check his phone which leads them to Nirmali. In the last scene, both of them are standing at police station, their faces covered with media covering them, holding hands.
- Lima Das as Nirmali
- Arghadeep Baruah as Sumon
- Neetali Das as Jumi
- Sagar Saurabh as Elias Ahmad
- Manash K Das as Dilip
- Utkal Hazowari as Inspector
- Chandan Bhuyan as Bora
- Samarjyoti Sarkar as Rickshaw puller
- Siddharth Boro as Eddie
- Momee Borah as Mina
- Jishnu Kashyap as Pikoo
- Uddipta K Bhattacharya as Suman's Friend
The film is a Signum and Metanormal production in association with Wishberry films
Awards- Best director- Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (SAIFF)
- "Meaning of আমিষ". Xobdo.org. 27 November 2019.
- "Anurag Kashyap to present Bhaskar Hazarika's Aamis, set in Assam; film to release in India on 22 November- Entertainment News, Firstpost". firstpost.com. 15 October 2019. Retrieved 15 October 2019.
- "Assamese film Aamis to compete at Tribeca film fest". outlookindia.com.
- "Assamese film Aamis gets a novel release plan". outlookindia.com. Retrieved 28 November 2019.
- "'Aamis' a unique love story of two meat loving characters - The Sentinel". Dailyhunt. Retrieved 28 November 2019.