This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (July 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Aalto Theatre, officially the Aalto-Musiktheater Essen, is a performing arts venue in Essen, Germany. It opened on 25 September 1988 with Richard Wagner's opera Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg and is mainly used for opera and ballet, but also for concerts and galas.
The design by the Finnish architect Alvar Aalto was the unanimous winner in a competition in 1959, but the building was begun only in 1983, seven years after Aalto's death. A feature of the auditorium's design is its asymmetrical layout and the indigo blue colour of the seats.
Following a survey of 50 critics in 2008, the magazine Opernwelt declared the Aalto Theatre to be the best opera house in the German-speaking countries and awarded the title Opera House of the Year 2008.
Media related to Aalto-Theater (Essen) at Wikimedia Commons
- Aalto Theatre homepage ‹See Tfd›(in German)
- Image gallery ‹See Tfd›(in German)
- "Gesamtkonzept Theater – Das Aalto-Theater Essen" by Eckhard Gropp ‹See Tfd›(in German)
- Models, architectural drawings, bibliography ‹See Tfd›(in Spanish)
- Aalto Theater, Essen on Architectuul