A Chance to Cut Is a Chance to Cure
A Chance to Cut Is a Chance to Cure is a 2001 studio album by electronic music group Matmos. The album consists primarily of samples of medical procedures, including plastic surgeries, liposuctions, hearing tests and bonesaws. The album maintains a sense of humour in contrast with the serious nature of the audio being sampled. The exception to the medical samples is the song "For Felix (And All the Rats)", a piece dedicated to their deceased pet rat Felix, performed entirely on his cage.
|A Chance to Cut Is a Chance to Cure|
|Studio album by Matmos|
|Released||March 13, 2001|
The two members of Matmos, Drew Daniel and Martin Schmidt, both had doctors as parents, a fact that likely influenced them in the album's creation. The album is sometimes considered a concept album within the glitch or musique concrète genre.
At Metacritic, which assigns a weighted average score out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 80% based on 13 reviews, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
|1.||"Lipostudio...And So On"||5:35|
|4.||"Ur Tchun Tan Tse Qi"||5:05|
|5.||"For Felix (And All the Rats)"||7:52|
|Japanese edition bonus track|
|8.||"Cymbals & Aspirin (A Breakthrough in Pain Relief)"||9:02|
- M. C. (Martin) Schmidt – Acoustic Guitar [Bowed], Electric Guitar, Effects [Straw And Water], Effects [Test Tones], Synthesizer [Sh101, Juno, Mono/poly], Voice [Speech] (1), Voice [Speech] (3), Performer [Acupuncture Point Detector, Skin] (4), Performer [Plucked And Bowed Rat Cage], Sequencing (5, 7), Performer [Human Skull, Goat Spine, Teeth] (6), Flute [Nose Flute], Computer [Laptop (Hyperprism)], Mixing
- Drew Daniel – Electric Guitar, Sound Effects (3), Voice [Speech] (1), Digital Editing, Sequencing, Sampling, Editing, Mixing, Recording
- Felix Kubin – Voice [Speech] (1)
- Blevin Blectum – Voice [Speech] (1)
- Hrvatski – Voice [Speech] (1)
- Katerin Von Ledersteger-Goodfriend – Voice [Speech] (1)
- Katie Williams – Voice [Speech] (1)
- J Lesser – Voice [Speech] (1)
- Kid606 – Voice [Speech] (1)
- Richard von der Schulenburg – Voice [Speech] (1)
- Stephen Thrower – Clarinet (1)
- Steve Goodfriend – Drums (1)
- Mark Lightcap – Electric Guitar (1), Ukulele (3)
- Rebecca Highlander – Voice (3)
- Stefanie Ressin, Blake Linney, Brian Schultz, Cody Shedd, Daisy Kent, David Hornung, Emily Hsu, Ethel Chang, Jennifer Tom, Jerome Narvaez, Joanne Feinstein, Junn-Francis Masongsong, Kevin Ambrosini, Lee Medoff, Mat Kaufman, Nicole Williamson, Quang Hong, Robert Sproul, Ryan Petersen – Voice [Speech] (1)
- Track 1: liposuction surgery recorded in California utilizing Bard Parker's Scalpels, Draeger Anesthesia Ventilators and Gramm's Medical Liposuction Equipment.
- Track 2: refractive eye surgery (laser in situ keratomileusis) performed on Monica Youn and recorded in San Francisco.
- Track 3: audiologist Rebecca Highlander, CCC-A reads a list of phonetically balanced words. Recorded in the hearing test booth at the Jean Weingarden Peninsula Oral School for the Deaf. Beeps and tones generated during the response curve testing of hearing aids.
- Track 4: composed entirely from sounds generated while measuring the galvanic response of M. C. (Martin) Schmidt's skin to a constant flow of electricity.
- Track 5: composed entirely from the plucked and bowed cage of Matmos rat named Felix.
- Track 6: composed entirely from samples of human skull, goat spine and connective tissue, and artificial teeth.
- Track 7: with the exception of the nose flute, this is composed entirely from recordings of plastic surgeries performed in California: rhinoplasty, endoscopic forehead lift, chin implant.
- Phares, Heather. "A Chance to Cut Is a Chance to Cure – Matmos". AllMusic. Retrieved May 11, 2007.
- "Reviews for A Chance To Cut Is A Chance To Cure by Matmos". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved October 3, 2016.
- "Matmos: A Chance to Cut Is a Chance to Cure". Alternative Press (154): 76. May 2001.
- Lester, Paul (March 9, 2001). "Matmos: A Chance to Cut is a Chance to Cure (Matador)". The Guardian. Retrieved November 11, 2017.
- Bell, Duncan (March 2001). "Matmos: A Chance to Cut Is a Chance to Cure (Matador)". Muzik (70): 93.
- Segal, Victoria (February 10, 2001). "Matmos: A Chance to Cut Is a Chance to Cure". NME: 34.
- San, Mark-Richard (March 31, 2001). "Matmos: A Chance to Cut is a Chance to Cure". Pitchfork. Retrieved October 3, 2016.
- "Matmos: A Chance to Cut Is a Chance to Cure". Q (176): 114. May 2001.
- Reynolds, Simon (May 2001). "Matmos: A Chance to Cut Is a Chance to Cure". Spin. 17 (5): 145. Retrieved November 11, 2017.
- "The 50 Best IDM Albums of All Time (4/5)". Pitchfork. January 24, 2017. Retrieved March 13, 2017.