ABC News (Australian radio network)(Redirected from ABC NewsRadio)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
ABC News (formerly ABC NewsRadio) is an Australian Broadcasting Corporation 24-hour news radio service. It is available on a number of broadcasts around Australia, including AM/FM radio, some pay-TV platforms and online.
|Broadcast area||Australia - Some Areas AM/FM & Internet|
|Slogan||Know the story|
|Frequency||Various (FM and AM; see Frequencies)|
Foxtel - TV Channel 875 / Radio Channel 43
|First air date||15 August 1994|
|Format||News / Talk|
|Owner||Australian Broadcasting Corporation|
Originally called the Parliamentary and News Network (PNN), the AM/FM radio network is chartered to broadcast live the proceedings of parliament, either the House of Representatives or the Senate, as specified by the standing orders. Also broadcast, at the end of each day's sitting, is a recording of Question Time for the chamber that was not broadcast live that day. These restrictions do not apply to the other broadcasts of Newsradio.
Parliamentary broadcasting was commenced by Ben Chifley's government on 10 July 1946, on ABC Radio. These broadcasts received their own frequencies in the 1980s as PNN. The PNN/ABC NewsRadio service was introduced in August 1994 to use the Parliamentary broadcasting frequencies which were not being used when Parliament was not in session.
ABC News has a 24-hour news format, including extensive finance, science and IT reports, as well as extended reports from the ABC's local and international news sources. ABC News also rebroadcasts international programming from the BBC, DW-Radio, Radio Netherlands and All Things Considered from NPR. On AM and FM radio, ABC News also broadcasts Australian Football League matches on weekends in New South Wales and Queensland, where the National Rugby League is the more popular football competition and thus is broadcast on ABC Local Radio services in those two states.
ABC News callsigns for stations on the AM radio band are always xPB, where x is the number denoting the particular state or territory and PB stands for Parliamentary Broadcasting. ABC NewsRadio stations on the FM radio band use callsigns of the format xPNN.
ABC News also uses resources from around the world such as news bulletins and programs from the BBC.
From September 2001, the 24-hour news format began live audio streaming on the Internet. When Parliament is in session, listeners who have Internet access may still receive the NewsRadio service even when the NewsRadio network is broadcasting Parliamentary proceedings over the air. From 2004, this was extended to FTA digital satellite and subscription TV services. In 2009, separate standard and parliamentary feeds were launched on digital terrestrial (DAB+) radio in the state capitals.
FM transmission was expanded greatly during a 2006-2009 program. It planned to increase the AM/FM coverage from 78% of the population to 95%.
The following carry parliamentary services, including Question Time, when parliament is in session. Australian Football League broadcasts may also interrupt news coverage in NSW, Queensland and the ACT.
- Adelaide SA 5PB 972 AM
- Airlie Beach QLD 4PNN 93.9 FM
- Alice Springs NT 8PNN 104.1 FM
- Bairnsdale VIC 3PNN 107.9 FM
- Ballarat VIC 3PNN 94.3 FM
- Batemans Bay/Moruya NSW 2PNN 100.5 FM
- Bathurst NSW 2PNN 98.3 FM
- Bega/Cooma NSW 2PNN 89.7 FM
- Bendigo VIC 3PNN 89.5 FM
- Brisbane QLD 4PB 936 AM
- Broken Hill NSW 2PNN 104.5 FM
- Broome WA 6PNN 106.9 FM
- Bunbury (Busselton) WA 6PNN 1152 AM
- Burnie TAS 7PNN 90.5 FM
- Cairns QLD 4PNN 101.1 FM
- Cairns North QLD 4PNN 96.3 FM
- Canberra ACT 2PB 103.9 FM
- Carnarvon WA 6PNN 106.1 FM
- Central Agricultural WA (Brookton, Corrigin, Northam, Quairading and surrounds) 6PNN 99.7 FM
- Central Tablelands NSW (Bathurst, Molong, Orange and surrounds) 2PNN 91.9 FM
- Central Western Slopes NSW (Dubbo, Coonabarabran, Gilgandra and surrounds) 2PNN 106.3 FM
- Colac and surrounds VIC 3PNN 104.7 FM
- Darwin NT 8PNN 102.5 FM
- East Devonport TAS 7PNN 102.1 FM
- Emerald QLD 4PNN 89.1 FM
- Esperance WA 6PNN 103.1 FM
- Geraldton WA 6PNN 101.3 FM
- Gladstone QLD 4PNN 96.7 FM
- Gold Coast QLD 4PNN 95.7 FM
- Gosford NSW 2PNN 98.1 FM
- Goulburn NSW 2PNN 99.9 FM
- Grafton/Kempsey NSW 2PNN 90.7 FM
- Gympie QLD 4PNN 94.5 FM
- Hobart and South East Tasmania TAS 7PB 747 AM
- Horsham VIC 3PNN 89.3 FM
- Illawarra NSW 2PNN 90.9 FM
- Inverell NSW 2PNN 93.5 FM
- Jabiru NT 8PNN 102.1 FM
- Kalgoorlie WA 6PNN 100.3 FM
- Karratha WA 6PNN 104.1 FM
- Katherine NT 8PNN 105.3 FM
- Latrobe Valley VIC (Bairnsdale, Morwell, Sale, Traralgon, Yarram and surrounds) 3PNN 95.1 FM
- Lithgow NSW 2PNN 91.3 FM
- Mackay QLD 4PNN 104.3 FM
- Manning River NSW (Forster, Laurieton, Port Macquarie, Taree and surrounds) 2PNN 94.7 FM
- Melbourne VIC 3PB 1026 AM
- Mildura/Sunraysia VIC 3PNN 100.3 FM
- Mount Gambier and South East SA 5PNN 105.7 FM
- Mount Isa QLD 4PNN 104.9 FM
- Mudgee NSW 2PNN 101.1 FM
- Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area NSW (Griffith, Narrandera, Leeton, Lake Cargelligo and surrounds) 2PNN 98.1 FM
- NE Tasmania (Launceston and surrounds) TAS 7PB 92.5 FM
- Newcastle NSW 2PB 1458 AM
- Perth WA 6PB 585 AM
- Port Hedland WA 6PNN 94.9 FM
- Port Stephens NSW (Nelson Bay, Salamander Bay and surrounds) 2PNN 95.1 FM
- Portland VIC 3PNN 97.7 FM
- Renmark/Loxton SA 5PNN 93.9 FM
- Richmond/Tweed NSW (Ballina, Lismore, Casino, Byron Bay, Tweed Heads) 2PNN 98.5 FM
- Rockhampton QLD 4PNN 105.5 FM
- Southern Agricultural WA (Albany, Denmark, Mount Barker, Tambellup and surrounds) 6PNN 92.1 FM
- Spencer Gulf North SA (Cowell, Port Augusta, Port Pirie, Peterborough, Wallaroo, Whyalla) 5PNN 102.7 FM
- SW Slopes/E Riverina NSW (Cootamundra, Gungagai, Temora, Wagga Wagga, West Wyalong, Young) 2PNN 91.5 FM
- Sydney NSW 2PB 630 AM
- Tamworth and surrounding towns NSW 2PNN 91.7 FM
- Townsville QLD 4PNN 94.3 FM
- Townsville North QLD 4PNN 93.5 FM
- Tuggeranong ACT 2PB 99.9 FM
- Tumby Bay SA 5PNN 91.5 FM
- Upper Hunter NSW (Scone, Muswellbrook, Aberdeen, Singleton and surrounds) 2PNN 104.9 FM
- Wagga Wagga NSW 2PB 105.1 FM
- Wagin WA 6PNN 96.3 FM
- Warrnambool VIC 3PNN 91.3 FM
- Western Victoria (Hamilton and surrounds) VIC 3PNN 91.7 FM
- Wide Bay QLD (Bundaberg, Maryborugh, Hervey Bay and surrounds) 4PNN 97.7 FM 
These are times ABC NewsRadio broadcast all-news format:
- Weekdays: midnight – 12:06 am, 5:30 am – 12 noon and 1 – 9 pm
- Weekends: 5:30 – 9 am
- Saturday: 9:30 – 10:30 am, 11:30 am – 12:30 pm, 1 – 1:30 pm and 2 – 4 pm
- Sunday: 10 – 11 am, 12 noon, 3 pm and 5 pm (30 minutes)
During these, headlines will be heard every 15 minutes, plus sport, weather, business and traffic.
News editions and journalistsEdit
5:30am-9am: Breakfast with Sandy Aloisi
9am-12pm: Mornings with Glen Bartholomew
12pm-1pm: All Things Considered from NPR
1pm-4pm: Afternoons with Sarah Hall or Cate Carrigan
4pm-7pm: Drive with Steve Chase, Ali Crew or Loni Cooper
Weekend Breakfast with Fiona Ellis-Jones
Weekend Mornings with Cate Carrigan or Sarah Hall
Weekend Afternoons with Mandy Presland or Clive Hunton.
Formerly (just before the name change)Edit
- Breakfast: Sandy Aloisi & Sport Chris Glassock
- Mornings: Glen Batholomew
- Afternoons: Eleni Psaltis
- Drive: Marius Benson
- Evenings: Tracey Holmes
- Weekend Breakfast: Fiona Ellis-Jones
- Weekend Afternoons: Mandy Presland
The following carry 24-hour news coverage, without parliamentary or sport interruption.
- Webcast (except during Olympic Games periods) - ABC NewsRadio webcast
- Free digital radio (DAB+) - ABC Digital Radio
- Free satellite radio - ABC Self-Help Satellite
- Pay TV cable or satellite radio (Foxtel and Austar) - TV channel 875 / radio channel 43
Podcasts of regularly recorded segments are also available at NewsRadio Podcasts.
- "Parliamentary Library: Australian Political Records (Research Note 42 1997-98)". Archived from the original on 17 October 2008. Retrieved 12 September 2008.
- Lallo, Michael (2 November 2016). "ABC in 2017: Diversity a focus, but which popular shows aren't returning?". Brisbane Times. Brisbane. Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- "New Look - ABC News". ABC News. 31 March 2017. Retrieved 31 March 2017.
- "Frequency Information". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 23 November 2010.