A. J. Simcox
Austin Jay Simcox (born June 22, 1994) is an American professional baseball shortstop for the Detroit Tigers organization. Previously, he played college baseball for the Tennessee Volunteers for the University of Tennessee.
|A. J. Simcox|
Simcox with the Mat-Su Miners in 2013
|Born: June 22, 1994|
Simcox attended Farragut High School in Knoxville, Tennessee. He played for the school's baseball team as a shortstop and pitcher, but a back injury prevented him from pitching in his sophomore year. The Colorado Rockies selected Simcox in the 32nd round, with the 978th overall selection, of the 2012 Major League Baseball (MLB) draft. He opted not to sign, and enrolled at the University of Tennessee to play college baseball for the Tennessee Volunteers. After his sophomore season in 2014, he played collegiate summer baseball for the Yarmouth–Dennis Red Sox of the Cape Cod Baseball League, where he batted .224 in 48 games, and helped lead the Red Sox to the league championship.
The Detroit Tigers selected Simcox in the 14th round, with the 430th overall selection, of the 2015 MLB draft. He signed with the Tigers, and played for four games with the Gulf Coast Tigers of the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League before he was promoted to the Connecticut Tigers of the Class A-Short Season New York-Penn League. After playing in 25 games for Connecticut, he was also promoted to the West Michigan Whitecaps of the Class A Midwest League. He posted a .330 batting average with one home runs and 21 RBIs in 49 games between the three clubs. In 2016, he played for the Lakeland Flying Tigers of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League, where he batted .262 with five home runs and 51 RBIs. Simcox spent 2017 with the Erie SeaWolves where he posted a .250 batting average, eight home runs, 36 RBIs, and 12 stolen bases.
Simcox's father, Larry, is a former assistant coach for the Volunteers' baseball team.
- Link, Dave (April 12, 2012). "A.J. Simcox is relief for Farragut, 12-8". Archive.knoxnews.com. Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- Smithey, Jesse (June 6, 2012). "UT signee A.J. Simcox selected in 32nd round". Archive.knoxnews.com. Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- Smithey, Jesse (June 27, 2012). "UT signee A.J. Simcox of Farragut played multiple role for Admirals". Archive.knoxnews.com. Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- "A.J. Simcox - Profile". Pointstreak.com. Retrieved July 13, 2019.
- "Vols, Y-D Red Sox Win Cape Cod League Championship". utsports.com. Retrieved July 13, 2019.
- "Tigers snag shortstop A.J. Simcox in draft's last phase". Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- "Now hard work begins for Tigers, some draft picks". Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- "SS A.J. Simcox picks Detroit Tigers over return to Tennessee". Freep.com. June 30, 2015. Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- "A.J. Simcox found swing during first pro season in minors". Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- "Tennessee's Stewart, Simcox shaping up as Tiger keepers". Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- "Tigers prospect Simcox swung well in first pro season". Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- "Detroit Tigers' No. 19 prospect A.J. Simcox latest to step up for Lakeland Flying Tigers - MiLB.com News - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Retrieved February 2, 2017.
- "A.J. Simcox Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". mILB.com. Retrieved December 4, 2017.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference (Minors)