69th Troop Carrier Squadron
The 69th Troop Carrier Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. It was last active with the 916th Troop Carrier Group, based at Carswell Air Force Base, Texas. It was inactivated on 25 November 1965.
|69th Troop Carrier Squadron
C-119 Flying Boxcar as flown by the squadron
|Active||1943-1946; 1947–1952; 1956–1965|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Part of||Continental Air Command|
|Engagements||Southwest Pacific Theater|
|Decorations||Philippine Presidential Unit Citation|
|Patch with 69th Troop Carrier Squadron emblem (approved 20 September 1944)|
World War IIEdit
Established under I Troop Carrier Command, January 1943. after training deployed to Fifth Air Force in the Southwest Pacific Theater, August 1943 during the New Guinea Campaign. Engaged in combat operations, flying combat cargo resupply missions, troop carrier missions, parachute drops and other missions as necessary in New Guinea, Dutch East Indies; Philippine Campaign and the Battle of Okinawa. Participated in the Occupation of Japan, 1945-1946.
Air Force ReserveEdit
Reactivated in the Air Force Reserve 1947, activated at Cleveland Airport, Ohio. Not equipped or manned until 1950 when moved to Greenville AFB, South Carolina when equipped with C-119 Flying Boxcars. Activated during Korean War.
Reactivated in the reserves, 1956, equipped with C-119s. Inactivated 1965
- Constituted as the 69th Troop Carrier Squadron on 22 January 1943
- Activated on 9 February 1943
- Inactivated on 15 January 1946
- Activated in the reserve on 3 August 1947
- Redesignated 69th Troop Carrier Squadron, Medium on 27 June 1949
- Ordered to active service on 15 October 1950
- Inactivated on 14 July 1952
- Activated in the reserve on 25 March 1956
- Inactivated on 25 November 1965
- 433d Troop Carrier Group, 9 February 1943 – 15 January 1946
- 433d Troop Carrier Group, 3 August 1947 – 14 July 1952
- 433d Troop Carrier Group, 25 March 1956
- 433d Troop Carrier Wing, 14 April 1959
- 923d Troop Carrier Group, 17 January 1963 - 25 November 1965
- Maurer, Combat Squadrons, p. 258
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1983) . Air Force Combat Units of World War II (PDF) (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-912799-02-1. LCCN 61060979.
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) . Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (PDF) (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-405-12194-6. LCCN 70605402. OCLC 72556.
- Ravenstein, Charles A. (1984). Air Force Combat Wings, Lineage & Honors Histories 1947-1977 (PDF). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-912799-12-9.