This article includes a list of general references, but it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. (December 2016)
The 63rd Theater Aviation Brigade is an aviation brigade of the United States Army. Headquartered in Frankfort, Kentucky as an element of the Kentucky Army National Guard. Elements of the 63rd Theater Aviation Brigade are also part of the New York Army National Guard.
|63rd Theater Aviation Brigade|
|Allegiance||United States Army National Guard|
|Type||Theater Aviation brigade|
|Part of||Kentucky Army National Guard|
|Nickname(s)||"Wings of Thunder"|
|Motto(s)||Unbridled Thunder (Formerly: Surpass the Standard)|
|Colors||Yellow and Blue|
|Colonel Michael Armstrong|
|Distinctive unit insignia|
Founded 15 September 1986 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, Aviation Brigade, 35th Infantry Division, it was reorganized on 1 September 1995 as the 63rd Aviation Group and relieved from assignment to the 35th Infantry Division. At a later date it was upgraded to brigade status as the 63rd Theater Aviation Brigade. Both the Distinctive Unit Insignia and the current Shoulder Sleeve Insignia were approved in 2007.
The unit is assigned to providing support to United States Army North aviation missions in the event of a disaster inside the United States, as well as support to civil activities within the State of Kentucky, including security and support for the Kentucky Derby. The unit has also provided support to United States Southern Command missions. Elements of the Brigade have also deployed to Southwest Asia in support of the Global War on Terrorism.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2016)
- ^ Kentucky National Guard E-Museum, 63d Theater Aviation Brigade, accessed June 2020.
- The Institute of Heraldry: 63rd Aviation Brigade
- Globalsecurity.org 63rd Aviation Group
- DoDLive 63rd Aviation Brigade
- Army.mil Change of Command for 63rd Theater Aviation Brigade
- National Guard News: Kentucky, New York provide Chinook pilots for CCMRF mission
- A Brief History of the Kentucky Army National Guard Rotary Wing Aviation by COL
- DMA 2009 report with brigade structure