2008 Peshawar bombings
September 2008 Peshawar bombingEdit
The September 2008 Peshawar bombing was a bombing that occurred on 6 September 2008, in the outskirts of Peshawar, North West Frontier Province, Pakistan. A suicide bomber blew up at a police checkpoint, killing 35 and injuring 70. The explosives-packed pick-up truck blasted a crater 3-foot-deep (0.91 m) crater and caused some buildings in a nearby market to collapse, leading to frantic rescue efforts.
December 2008 Peshawar bombingEdit
|December 2008 Peshawar bombing|
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province shown within Pakistan
|Date||5 December 2008|
The December 2008 Peshawar bombing was a bombing that occurred on 5 December 2008 in the Pakistani city of Peshawar, killing 29 people and injuring over 100 others. Local police chief Naveed Khan suggested that chemicals intended to increase the spread of fire were contained in the bomb.
The attack destroyed a hotel and a mosque, and set fire to several shops.
The incidents took place while people were shopping for the Eid al-Adha festival, which starts on 9 December 2008, and it took place on the same day as another attack in the country, which killed six people. This attack took place in the area south of Peshawar.
Asif Ali Zardari, the President of Pakistan, strongly condemned the attacks, and said that the perpetrators of the attacks will be found and brought to justice, and expressed his condolences to the families of the dead.
He also stated, in response to the attacks, that his country was committed to fighting terrorism. The Pakistani military strengthened its operations against the Taliban and al-Qaida, who are blamed for the attacks.
- Khan, Riaz (7 September 2008). "Pakistan suicide blast death toll reaches 35". Associated Press. Archived from the original on 10 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-07.
- "Bomber hits Pakistani checkpoint". BBC. 6 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-07.
- "Pakistan bomb death toll rises to 29". The Irish Times. 6 December 2008. Retrieved 6 December 2008.
- Balakrishnan, Angela (5 December 2008). "Deadly car bombs hits Pakistan marketplace". The Guardian. London. Archived from the original on 8 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-05.
- "Blast near Shi'ite centre in Pakistan's Peshawar". Reuters. Archived from the original on 9 December 2008. Retrieved 5 December 2008.
- "President, Acting President, PM strongly condemn Peshawar blast". Associated Press of Pakistan. Archived from the original on 10 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-05.
- "Car bomb kills at least 17 in Pakistani city of Peshawar; dozens wounded". 680 News. Archived from the original on 10 December 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-05.