500 West 25th Street
500 West 25th Street, also known as The Emerson, is a mixed-use development consisting of a ten-story building located in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan, at the corner of 25th Street and Tenth Avenue. The ground floor contains retail spaces, while residential units occupy the remaining floors. It is adjacent to the High Line elevated park and provides a view of the park and the Hudson River from each residence.
|500 West 25th Street, The Emerson|
|Location||Manhattan, New York City, United States|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||GDSNY, GF55 Partners|
The building was named after American poet and philosopher Ralph Waldo Emerson. It was designed and developed by Michael David Kirchmann of GDSNY with GF55 Partners as the architect of record; construction started in 2016 and was completed in 2020. The building is situated on two lots that were formerly occupied by a single story car stereo store and a four-story apartment building, both of which were demolished to make way for the new development. The design of the building uses a grid of windows, columns, and beams and is clad in Alabama limestone. A distinctive feature of the structure is a cantilever on the upper three levels, which makes it one of only two structures with a cantilever along the High Line. The building is also one of only 24 properties in Manhattan to receive the New York City Green Property Certification (as 239 Tenth Avenue), which recognizes properties listed as among the safest in the city to live and work.
- Bonislawski, Adam (September 17, 2020). "NYC's newest buildings have COVID-era appeals — and deals". New York Post. Retrieved October 19, 2020.
- Baird-Remba, Rebecca (July 26, 2016). "Permits Filed: 500 West 25th Street, Chelsea". New York YIMBY. Retrieved October 19, 2020.
- Morris, Sebastian (August 2, 2018). "GDS Development Closes On Additional Air Rights For 500 West 25th Street In West Chelsea". New York YIMBY. Retrieved October 19, 2020.
- Young, Michael (April 23, 2019). "500 West 25th Street Tops Out Next To High Line, In Chelsea". New York YIMBY. Retrieved October 19, 2020.
- Young, Michael (November 10, 2019). "Work Continues On Cantilevering Residential Building At 500 West 25th Street, In Chelsea". New York YIMBY. Retrieved October 19, 2020.
- Young, Michael (March 13, 2020). "500 West 25th Street's Alabama Limestone Façade Revealed, In Chelsea". New York YIMBY. Retrieved October 19, 2020.
- Nonko, Emily (July 9, 2020). "The 14 best apartments near the High Line". 6sqft. Retrieved October 19, 2020.
- "First look at High Line-hugging auto shop turned condos". Curbed New York. August 14, 2018. Retrieved August 20, 2018.
- Keh, Pei-Ru (October 16, 2020). "GDSNY's The Emerson is a love letter to New York". Wallpaper. Retrieved October 19, 2020.
- "About NYC Green Property Certification". NYC Office of Environmental Remediation.
- "List of NYC Green Property Certification". NYC Office of Environmental Remediation.
- "EPIC Environment, NYC Office of Environmental Remediation's portal". NYC Office of Environmental Remediation.