4th Royal Tank Regiment
The 4th Royal Tank Regiment (4 RTR) was an armoured regiment of the British Army from its creation in 1917, during World War I, until 1993. It was part of the Royal Tank Regiment, itself part of the Royal Armoured Corps.
|4th Royal Tank Regiment|
|Active||28 July 1917- 1993|
|Part of||Royal Armoured Corps |
Royal Tank Regiment
|March||Quick: My Boy Willie |
Slow: The Royal Tank Regiment Slow March
|Anniversaries||Cambrai, 20 November|
|Battle honours||see Battle Honours|
|Colonel-in-Chief||HM The Queen|
|Colonel-Commandant||Lt-General Andrew Peter Ridgway, CB, CBE|
|Tartan||Hunting Rose (pipes and drums)|
The regiment originally saw action as D Battalion, Tank Corps in 1917. In 1940, it was briefly amalgamated with the 7th Royal Tank Regiment, as the 4th/7th Royal Tank Regiment, returning to its previous title four months later.
4 RTR was captured at Tobruk on 21 June 1942. On 1 March 1945, 144th Regiment Royal Armoured Corps was redesignated 4th Royal Tank Regiment to replace the original. The newly retitled regiment equipped with Buffalo LVTs took part in Operation Plunder, ferrying troops of 51st Highland Division across the Rhine on the night of 23/24 March 1945. The Commanding Officer (Lt-Col Alan Jolly) carried the same standard that was originally carried across by 17th Armoured Car Battalion of the Royal Tank Corps in the First World War. Once again the RTR was first across the Rhine.
In 1948 it assisted in the ending of the British Mandate over Palestine. In 1959, it was again amalgamated with 7th Royal Tank Regiment, this time without a change of title, and in 1993 due to Options for Change, amalgamated with the 1st Royal Tank Regiment.
The Commanding Officers have been:
- 1960–1962: Lt.-Col. Thomas S. Craig
- 1962–1964: Lt.-Col. H. Brian C. Watkins
- 1964–1967: Lt.-Col. John A. Cowgill
- 1967–1969: Lt.-Col. Roger B.C. Plowden
- 1969–1971: Lt.-Col. Martin H. Sinnatt
- 1971–1973: Lt.-Col. Laurence A.W. New
- 1973–1976: Lt.-Col. David Sands
- 1976–1978: Lt.-Col. Nicholas H. Cocking
- 1978–1981: Lt.-Col. Michael J. Rose
- 1981–1983: Lt.-Col. Philip J. Sanders
- 1983–1985: Lt.-Col. Hedley D.C. Duncan
- 1985–1988: Lt.-Col. W. Douglas Cantley
- 1988–1990: Lt.-Col. Charles J. McBean
- 1990–1993: Lt.-Col. Martin N.E. Speller
- "4th Royal Tank Regiment". Regiments.org. Archived from the original on 19 May 2006. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- "Royal Tank Regiment". British Armed Forces. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- "The History of the 4th and 7th Royal Tank Regiment". Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- "Regiments and Commanding Officers, 1960 - Colin Mackie" (PDF). p. 32. Retrieved 4 February 2021.
- "4th Royal Tank Regiment". Regiments.org. Archived from the original on 11 October 2007.
- The History of the 4th and 7th Royal Tank Regiment. revised 2011
- The website of 4th RTR on the internet
- The History of the 4th and 7th Royal Tank Regiment
- Merseyside RTR (Brian Gills website)