3rd Command and Control Squadron
|3d Command and Control Squadron|
|Active||11 January 1996-31 July 1999|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Type||Command and Control|
|Role||Space Surveillance C2|
|Garrison/HQ||Offutt AFB, Nebraska|
|Motto(s)||WATCHING THE WORLD|
The 3d Command and Control Squadron mission was shrouded in secrecy, however some details from its location, successor unit, and unit emblem shed some light on its operations.
The device in the center of the disc is a Hydra, a creature which in mythology had several heads. These heads represent the multiple sensor sites of the 3 CACS, which provide continuous, worldwide surveillance. According to mythology, the hydra in combat could detect an attack from any direction even with the loss of a head. Similarly, 3 CACS maintains global coverage even if one of its sensors is put out of operation. This global capability is further amplified by the motto of the unit: "Watching the World".
The disc is divided by the colors black and white which represent night and day. The squadron works night and day. The line of USAF yellow dividing these colors symbolizes the sun which divides the day and night. The USAF blue in the scrolls suggests the sky, the medium in which the Air Force operates. The USAF yellow in the emblem's borders and in the lettering in the scroll denotes the excellence required of Air Force personnel. The motto describes the mission of 3 CACS and how the men and women continuously carry out their mission.
- Communications System Segment Replacement (CSSR)
- Survivable Communications Integration System (SCIS)
- Command and Control Processing and Display System Replacement (CCPDS-R)
- AFSPC Special Order GD-018
- AFHRA: FOIA request 09-0061
- Rogers, B. (2006). United States Air Force Unit Designations Since 1978. ISBN 1-85780-197-0
- AFSPC Special Order GD-018, 19 Jul 1999
- AFSPC Special Order GD-005, 12 Jan 1996
- 90th Space Wing Public Affairs: "Col Michael J. Morgan Official Biography"
- AFSPC/21st Space Wing, G-Series Order G-009, 19 Jun 1998
- AFHRA FOIA Req 09-0061: 21st Space Wing Roster of Key Personnel (as of 31 Dec 1996)
- World Airpower Journal. (1992). US Air Force Air Power Directory. Aerospace Publishing: London, UK. ISBN 1-880588-01-3
- AFSPC Special Order GA-62, 6 Dec 1999
- AFSPC Special Order GA-58, 6 Dec 1999
- AFSPC Special Order GA-09, 1 Nov 1997