30 Is a Dangerous Age, Cynthia
|30 Is a Dangerous Age, Cynthia|
|Directed by||Joseph McGrath|
|Produced by||Walter Shenson|
Dudley Moore |
Eddie Foy, Jr.
|Music by||Dudley Moore|
|Edited by||Bill Blunden|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
London jazz pianist and aspiring composer Rupert Street (Dudley Moore) is looking to have a 30th birthday to remember, marriage on the big day, but lacks a bride, and in the six weeks that remain, he has set himself the no less formidable additional target of writing a musical, all through fear of reaching that grand age having achieved nothing in life. Luck comes Rupert's way in the form of the gorgeous but taken Louise (Suzy Kendall), a fellow boarder, whose attentions he pursues with all his goofy and inept might and main. The inevitable bust-up with competing suitor Paul leaves Rupert with right arm in plaster and unable to play.
Seeing the need of freedom from distraction, Rupert departs for Dublin. Industry and inspiration abound and Rupert returns to London triumphant having met his deadline. Odds of achieving the other half of his plan look remote, though, as Louise has left for Birmingham with the persistent Paul and Rupert must go in pursuit if he is to be married in the few days remaining till his birthday.
Meanwhile, pressures from the production's major investor on Rupert's agent to lock up his creative work in a contract amendment send private eye Greenslade to Birmingham to hunt down the hunter. Reunited by Greenslade on Rupert's birthday, the couple rush back to London for the opening, via the marriage registry, that is.
- Dudley Moore as Rupert Street
- Eddie Foy, Jr. as Oscar
- Suzy Kendall as Louise Hammond
- John Bird as Herbert Greenslade
- Duncan Macrae as Jock McCue
- Patricia Routledge as Mrs. Woolley
- Peter Bayliss as Victor
- John Wells as Honorable Gavin Hopton
- Harry Towb as Mr. Woolley
- Jonathan Routh as Captain Gore-Taylor
- Ted Dicks, Jr. as Horst Cohen
- Nicky Henson as Paul
- Clive Dunn as Doctor
- Frank Thornton as Registrar
- Derek Farr as TV Announcer
- Micheál MacLiammóir as Irish Storyteller
- Bernard Jarvis as the bridegroom