2nd Kraków Grenadier Regiment
|2nd Kraków Grenadier Regiment|
|2 Regiment Grenadierów Krakowskich|
|Motto(s)||They Feed and Defend (Polish: Żywią i Bronią, original spelling: Żywią y Bronią)|
|Weapons||War scythes, rifles|
|First commander||Franciszek Bukowski|
Both 1st and 2nd regiments were formed in 1794 after battle of Racławice out of all remaining scythemen who stayed with the insurrect army after the battle. Soldiers of the regiments wore rogatywka peaked caps, navy blue jackets with green revers and czechczery or white broadcloth-made trousers. The units were equipped with 300 rifles and never reached the planned number of soldiers or unitary look of the uniforms.
On 16 August 1794, Tadeusz Kościuszko, leader of the uprising, gave the regiment the red banner with They Feed and Defend (Polish: Żywią i Bronią, original spelling: Żywią y Bronią) motto on it. Nowadays the banner is associated as a symbol of the Kościuszko Uprising. Currently it is kept in Polish Army Museum, Warsaw.
- Colonel Franciszek Bukowski
- Colonel Ludwik Krupiński
- Colonel Władysław Jabłonowski
Illustration by Walery Eljasz Radzikowski depicting Kraków Grenadiers.
- Polish: 2 Regiment Grenadierów Krakowskich
- Rodowody pułków polskich i oddziałów równorzędnych od r. 1717 do r. 1831 by Bronisław Gembarzewski, published by Towarzystwo Wiedzy Wojskowej, Warsaw, 1925 (Polish)
- Wojsko Polskie Kościuszki w roku 1794, Bolesław Twardowski, published by Księgarnia Katolicka, Poznań, 1894 (Polish)
- Wielka Encyklopedia Polski, 10th volume, publiszed by Kluszczyński, Kraków, 2005, ISBN 83-89550-37-7 (Polish)