|2022 El'ad stabbing|
|Part of the Israeli–Palestinian conflict|
|Native name||הפיגוע באלעד|
|Date||May 5, 2022 |
No. of participants
In the weeks preceding the stabbing, Palestinians and Israeli Arabs had perpetrated a string of deadly attacks in Israel, making it the deadliest period since 2006. A week before the attack, two Hamas supporters from Nablus murdered a security guard in Ariel. While the search for the murderers was still going on by the Israeli Police, Yahya Sinwar, the leader of Hamas in Gaza, made a public speech where he encouraged the Palestinian and Israeli Arabs to "raise every possible weapon, will it be a rifle, a pistol, or a knife" against Israelis.
The attackers arrived at Shlomo Ibn Gbirol street at 20:35 local time, holding axes and a pistol. They encountered a security guard, who tried to stop them but was killed by the attackers. They then arrived at the nearby central park in El'ad, which was full of visitors who came to celebrate the 74th Independence Day of Israel, and began to attack them, killing two more men and wounding four more.
Two of the killed victims were in their 40s, while the third victim was a 35-year-old man. A fourth victim, a 75-year-old man, succumbed to his wounds in February 2023, eight months after the attack. A 60-year-old man and a 35-year-old man suffered serious injuries. Fighting the attackers, a 40-year-old man was moderately injured and a 23-year-old man lightly injured.
The two assailants were identified by the Israeli Police as As'ad Alrafa'ani (20) and Sabhi Shajir (19) from Rummanah, near Jenin in the West Bank. Both escaped in a vehicle after the attack. After two days of searching, they were caught hiding in a nearby forest, between Elad and Rosh HaAyin, by two Shin Bet agents and an officer from Maglan commando unit.
The President of the State of Palestine, Mahmoud Abbas, said that "The killing of Palestinians and Israelis only leads to a further deterioration in the situation at a time when we are all begging to achieve stability and prevent escalation".
Hamas praised the attack, implying that it was in retaliation for recent clashes at the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound, while not claiming responsibility. Palestinian Islamic Jihad also praised the attack.
Some Palestinians in Nablus, Tulkarm, Gaza City and Khan Yunis celebrated the attack, handing out candies to passers-by. A video encouraging the murder of Jews with an axe circulated on a Palestinian Telegram channel.
See also edit
- "Terror victim succumbs to injuries 8 months after Independence Day attack". Times of Israel. Retrieved 2 February 2023.
- Shoval, Lilach; Doron, Yaron; Morag, Tamir; Dvir, Noam (6 May 2022). "Victims of Elad attack named as manhunt for terrorists continues". Israel Hayom. Retrieved 6 May 2022.
- Breiner, Josh (8 May 2022). "Israel Nabs Palestinians Who Murdered Three Israelis". Haaretz. Archived from the original on 9 May 2022. Retrieved 8 May 2022.
- "Elad attack: Three dead in central Israeli city". BBC News. 5 May 2022. Archived from the original on 6 May 2022. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- ימים לפני הפיגוע באלעד: סינוואר קרא לפלסטינים לאחוז בנשק, N12 News, May 5th 2022
- Tal, Amir; Salman, Abeer; Schwartz, Mike; Gotkine, Elliot; Gold, Hadas (6 May 2022). "At least three killed in suspected terror attack in Israel". CNN. Archived from the original on 5 May 2022. Retrieved 6 May 2022.
- שלושה נרצחים ושני פצועים קשה בפיגוע באלעד; מתנהל מצוד אחר המחבלים, Maariv, May 6th 2022 (in Hebrew)
- "'Pay the price': Israel hunts attackers who hacked 3 to death". Al Jazeera. 6 May 2022. Archived from the original on 6 May 2022. Retrieved 6 May 2022.
- כתם הדם, חזרת הכוחות לשטח והזיהוי מתוך השיחים: כך נתפסו המחבלים מהפיגוע באלעד, Israel Hayom, May 8th 2022
- Levy, Elior (6 May 2022). "אבו מאזן גינה את הפיגוע באלעד". ynet.
- McKernan, Bethan (5 May 2022). "Three people killed and at least four injured in attack in Israeli town of Elad". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 5 May 2022. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "Hamas applauds terror attack in Elad". The Times of Israel. 5 May 2022. Archived from the original on 5 May 2022. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "Three killed in attack in central Israel's Elad". France 24. 5 May 2022. Archived from the original on 6 May 2022. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- Halevi, Dalit (6 May 2022). "'We came to slaughter you': Palestinian Arabs celebrate Elad terror attack". Israel National News. Archived from the original on 6 May 2022. Retrieved 6 May 2022.
- Frantzman, Seth J. (7 May 2022). "Yemen's Houthis celebrate terror attack in Israel". The Jerusalem Post. Archived from the original on 9 May 2022. Retrieved 9 May 2022.