|Date||20 January 2021|
|Location||Calle de Toledo, Madrid, Spain|
At about 14:55 CET, at a residence which provided training for Catholic priests and gave meals to homeless people, on Calle de Toledo, in Madrid, Spain, neighbors felt a weird smell. When they were trying to find out where it came from, the building exploded because of a gas leak originated in the street. This massive explosion partially destroyed the building but didn't leave anybody under the debris. Four men were killed in the blast: a 35-year-old electrician, who was also a parishioner and had gone there to visit his friend, the priest; a 45-year-old bricklayer who was working nearby the scene; a 46-year-old Bulgarian passerby; and a 36-year-old parish priest who died in hospital the day after the explosion. Ten other people were wounded, including one in critical condition. The building was seriously damaged in the incident, with the top four floors being totally destroyed. A nearby school and a nursing home were also affected by the blast but nobody was hurt in those two locations; the nursing home was evacuated.
See also Edit
- "At least four killed in Madrid city centre 'gas explosion'". Al Jazeera English. 20 January 2021. Retrieved 20 January 2021.
- "Se elevan a cuatro los muertos por la explosión en el edificio del centro de Madrid" (in Spanish). El Pais. 21 January 2021. Retrieved 21 January 2021.
- "Priest injured in Madrid blast dies in hospital". Reuters. 21 January 2021.
- Fuerte explosión en un edificio del centro de Madrid, en directo | Uno de los heridos en el siniestro fallece y se elevan a cuatro las víctimas mortales
- "Cuatro muertos en una fuerte explosión en Madrid que ha destrozado un edificio en la calle Toledo" (in Spanish). El Mundo. 20 January 2021. Retrieved 20 January 2021.
- on YouTube