On 9 May 2017, two bombs exploded at a Big C supermarket in Pattani, Thailand. Some 80 people were confirmed injured, some seriously and no deaths were reported. Most of the wounded received treatment at the scene, but 21 people were taken to hospital with serious injuries.
|2017 Pattani bombing|
|Part of the South Thailand Insurgency|
|Location||Pattani, Pattani Province, Thailand|
|Date||9 May 2017 |
02:50 PM Thailand time (UTC+07:00)
|Weapon||Improvised explosive device|
|Injured||80 (4 seriously)|
|Perpetrators||Barisan Revolusi Nasional (suspected)|
The attack took place around 2:50 PM Thai time (07:50 UTC) when the first bomb planted on a motorcycle occurred near the entrance at the Big C supermarket. 10 minutes later, a second blast a larger and more powerful explosion which was planted inside a bag on a pickup truck, exploded occurred outside the building entrance.
Before that, the Big C supermarket here was bombed twice before. The first time on 1 August 2005 and the second one took place on 11 March 2012.
Thai police suspected that the perpetrators were most likely Pattani Muslim separatists. On 10 May, Pattani Police initially believed that three groups of six people were involved in the bombings. A massive manhunt has been launched for four men who were allegedly involved in the twin blasts, who had suspected links to Barisan Revolusi Nasional.
- "Car bomb wounds 60 at supermarket in southern Thailand". Swissinfo. 9 May 2017.[permanent dead link]
- "Car bomb hit Thailand's troubled south, injures 51". Channel News Asia. 9 May 2017. Archived from the original on 12 May 2017. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Double bombing hits Thailand's violence-plagued south". Al Jazeera. 9 May 2017.
- "Twin blasts at Thailand shopping mall leave at least 60 injured". International Business Times. 9 May 2017.
- "Thailand: Insurgents Bomb Southern Mall". Human Rights Watch. 9 May 2017.
- "18 suspects in car-bombing of Big C". The Bangkok Post. 10 May 2017.
- "Pattani suspects identified". The Nation. 11 May 2017. Archived from the original on 10 May 2017. Retrieved 12 May 2017.