The son of Iffraaj was not even nominated for the Derby until 21 February. But everything changed in the Avondale Guineas, a Group Two race two weeks before the Derby. Gingernuts was a 26-to-one longshot in the $100,000 race and dropped back to a distant last after breaking slowly from the starting gate, but he produced a remarkable finishing burst to win by a length and a quarter.
The Guineas win earned Gingernuts second-favouritism in the Derby, in which he again produced a formidable finish down the home straight to beat the Australian-trained Rising Red by a length. The win sparked huge celebrations among an ownership syndicate of more than 30 people, most wearing matching orange 'G-Nuts' caps.
It was the first New Zealand Derby win for leading New Zealand syndicators Te Akau Racing, as well as for trainers Stephen Autridge and Jamie Richards. Autridge was the favourite to win the race as a jockey in 1981 aboard the undefeated Altitude, who suffered a catastrophic and fatal haemorrhage.
- Sponsor: Vodafone New Zealand
- Prize money: NZ$1,000,000
- Track: Good
- Number of runners: 18
- Winner's time: 2:28.27
|1||Gingernuts||Opie Bosson||Stephen Autridge & Jamie Richards||$5.40|
|2||1||Rising Red||Mick Dee||Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young||$17.50|
|3||1½||Jon Snow||Matt Cameron||Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman||$29.50|
|4||½||Beaumarchais||Michael McNab||Stephen Autridge & Jamie Richards||$88.70|
|5||Nose||Sacred Elixir||Leith Innes||Tony Pike||$5.50|
|6||1½||Charles Road||Craig Grylls||Lance O'Sullivan & Andrew Scott||$14.90|
|7||1½||Camino Rocoso||Jason Waddell||Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman||$13.60|
|8||½||Excalibur||Jonathan Riddell||Shaune Ritchie||$16.70|
|9||½||Mongolian Legend||Cameron Lammas||Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman||$116.00|
|10||Nose||Highlad||Johnathan Parkes||Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman||$30.70|
|11||Neck||Wyndspelle||Danielle Johnson||Donna Logan & Chris Gibbs||$12.90|
|12||Neck||Savile Row||Michael Coleman||Michael Moroney & Pam Gerard||$3.80|
|13||½||Leading Role||Lisa Allpress||Gary Vile||$128.60|
|14||1½||Mongolian Wolf||Mark Du Plessis||Murray Baker & Andrew Forsman||$32.10|
|15||6||Stephenstihls||Hayden Tinsley||Mike Breslin||$67.90|
|16||1½||Lincoln Blue||Masa Tanaka||Lisa Latta||$27.60|
|17||22||Redeem The Dream||Vinnie Colgan||Shaune Ritchie||$39.30|
|18||½||Cha Siu Bao||Derek Leung||Lance O'Sullivan & Andrew Scott||$40.50|
Further details of the winner, Gingernuts:
- Foaled: 2 October 2013 at Goodwood Stud, Palmerston North
- Sire: Iffraaj; Dam: Double Elle (Generous)
- Owner: Te Akau Gingernuts Syndicate (Mgr: DC Ellis)
- Trainer: Stephen Autridge & Jamie Richards
- Breeder: Goodwood Stud
- Starts: 7
- Wins: 4
- Seconds: 1
- Thirds: 0
- Earnings: $671,250
The road to the DerbyEdit
Early-season appearances in 2016-17 prior to running in the Derby.
- Gingernuts – 1st Avondale Guineas
- Jon Snow – 2nd Hawke's Bay Guineas, 8th New Zealand 2000 Guineas, 3rd Great Northern Guineas, 3rd Levin Classic, 3rd Karaka 3YO Mile, 7th Herbie Dyke Stakes
- Beaumarchais – 9th Avondale Guineas
- Sacred Elixir – 1st Caulfield Guineas Prelude, 8th Caulfield Guineas, 1st Moonee Valley Vase, 2nd Victoria Derby, 4th Karaka 3YO Mile, 7th Avondale Guineas
- Charles Road – 2nd Avondale Guineas
- Camino Rocoso – 8th Avondale Guineas
- Excalibur – 5th Trevor Eagle Memorial, 6th Levin Classic, 6th Waikato Guineas
- Highlad – 1st Wanganui Guineas, 3rd UCI Stakes, 9th Caulfield Classic, 8th Victoria Derby, 7th Waikato Guineas, 5th Avondale Guineas
- Wyndspelle – 3rd Northland Breeders' Stakes, 5th Hawke's Bay Guineas, 3rd Sarten Memorial, 5th New Zealand 2000 Guineas, 5th Levin Classic, 1st Waikato Guineas
- Savile Row – 3rd Barneswood Farm Stakes, 2nd New Zealand 2000 Guineas, 2nd Levin Classic, 2nd Herbie Dyke Stakes
- Leading Role – 4th Zacinto Stakes, 9th Levin Classic, 10th Avondale Guineas
- Mongolian Wolf – 10th Northland Breeders' Stakes, 8th Bonecrusher Stakes, 3rd Avondale Guineas
- Stephenstihls – 2nd Zacinto Stakes, 7th Karaka 3YO Mile
- Lincoln Blue – 1st Wellington Stakes, 1st 3YO Salver, 4th Levin Classic, 3rd Waikato Guineas
- Redeem The Dream – 2nd 3YO Salver, 4th Avondale Guineas
- Cha Siu Bao – 4th New Zealand 2000 Guineas, 4th Great Northern Guineas, 4th Waikato Guineas, 6th Avondale Guineas
Subsequent Group 1 winsEdit
Subsequent wins at Group 1 level by runners in the 2017 New Zealand Derby.
- 2020 New Zealand Derby
- 2019 New Zealand Derby
- 2018 New Zealand Derby
- 2016 New Zealand Derby
- 2015 New Zealand Derby
- 2014 New Zealand Derby
- 2013 New Zealand Derby
- 2012 New Zealand Derby
- 2011 New Zealand Derby
- 2010 New Zealand Derby
- Recent winners of major NZ 3 year old races
- Desert Gold Stakes
- Hawke's Bay Guineas
- Karaka Million
- Levin Classic
- New Zealand 1000 Guineas
- New Zealand 2000 Guineas
- New Zealand Oaks
- Dennis Ryan. "Autridge gets his Derby among a sea of orange « Racing News « The Informant". Theinformant.co.nz. Archived from the original on 5 March 2017. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- "Horse sales and thoroughbred horses for sale – NZ Bloodstock". Nzb.co.nz. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- "Gingernuts (NZ) 2013 / Breeding / NZRacing". Nzracing.co.nz. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- Dennis Ryan. "Late Derby entry confirmed for Gingernuts « Archive « Racing News « The Informant". Theinformant.co.nz. Archived from the original on 6 March 2017. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- Richard Edmunds. "Gingernuts goes from last to first in Avondale Guineas « Archive « Racing News « The Informant". Theinformant.co.nz. Archived from the original on 6 March 2017. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- "Gingernuts Dunks Them – Te Akau Racing". Teakauracing.com. 20 June 2014. Retrieved 6 March 2017.