A military-style robbery of Prosegur’s office occurred in Ciudad del Este, Paraguay's border town to Brazil, on April 24, 2017. The event has been termed “the robbery of the century” and “mega-robbery” by the media, and is the “biggest heist in Paraguay’s history".
In the night, about 50 to 80 heavily-armed robbers closed off the perimeter of the office with cars and, during a three-hour assault, were reportedly able to access at least one of the three vaults of the company. One police officer was killed, and several people were wounded. The robbers were thought to have taken between 8 million to US$40 million. According to Prosegur, US$8 million were missing from one vault.
Authorities have assumed that the robbers came from and returned to Brazil where an apparent staging house was found across the border in Foz do Iguaçu. A subgroup of the robbers was reported to be intercepted in Itaipulandia resulting in a gun battle during which three suspects were killed and four arrested. Additional suspects were arrested in Parana. Paraguayan police suspects that the First Capital Command (PCC), a criminal Brazilian gang, may be behind the robbery.
Several police chiefs of Ciudad del Este were fired after the robbery by the interior minister.
- ^ a b "Army of 60 robbers gets away with spectacular heist in Paraguay". Fox News. April 24, 2017. Retrieved May 14, 2017.
- ^ a b c "Paraguay's interior minister fires police chiefs as hunt continues for Brazilian gang members behind 'robbery of the century'". The Telegraph. April 26, 2017. Retrieved May 14, 2017.
- ^ a b c d Bill Chappell (April 25, 2017). "'Mega-Robbery' In Paraguay: Dozens Reportedly Took Part In Violent Heist". NPR. Retrieved May 14, 2017.
- ^ a b c "Paraguay robbery: Huge Brazilian gang mounts multi-million-dollar raid on armoured car firm, four dead". ABC News. April 25, 2017. Retrieved May 14, 2017.
- ^ a b Nicole Chavez (April 25, 2017). "'Robbery of the century': 8 arrested in neighboring Brazil". CNN. Retrieved May 14, 2017.