2017 Canadian Grand Prix
The 2017 Canadian Grand Prix (formally known as the Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada 2017) was a Formula One motor race that took place on 11 June 2017 at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The race was the seventh round of the 2017 FIA Formula One World Championship. It was the fifty-fourth running of the Canadian Grand Prix, and the forty-eighth time the event had been included as a round of the Formula One World Championship since the inception of the series in 1950, and the thirty-eighth time that a World Championship round had been held at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.
|2017 Canadian Grand Prix|
|Race 7 of 20 in the 2017 Formula One World Championship|
Layout of the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
|Date||11 June 2017|
|Official name||Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada 2017|
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve|
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
|Course length||4.361 km (2.710 mi)|
|Distance||70 laps, 305.270 km (189.686 mi)|
|Weather||Sunny and hot with temperatures reaching up to 29 °C (84 °F); wind speeds reaching 12.9 kilometres per hour (8.0 mph)|
|Time||1:14.551 on lap 64|
|Third||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer|
The race was won by Lewis Hamilton who took pole, led every lap of the race and set the fastest lap. Joining him on the podium were Valtteri Bottas who finished second and Daniel Ricciardo who finished third. Mercedes dominated the weekend after a bad weekend at Monaco. Lance Stroll finished 9th and became the first driver from Canada to score a point since Jacques Villeneuve in the 2006 British Grand Prix.
Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton went fastest in first practice, setting a time of 1.13:809. He was followed by the Ferrari of Sebastian Vettel and his teammate Valtteri Bottas in second and third. Fernando Alonso's McLaren continued to suffer from reliability issues as he broke down and retired from the session. In second practice the Ferrari of Kimi Räikkönen was fastest followed by Hamilton and Vettel. Saturday's third and final practice was topped by Vettel, with Raikkonen second and Hamilton third. Vettel set the quickest time of all three practices with a 1.12:572.
Q1 ended with Pascal Wehrlein crashing his Sauber at turn one after touching the grass border of the track. Damage sustained in the accident meant he would start the race from the pit lane.
In Q3 Lewis Hamilton secured pole position with a 1:11.459 matching Ayrton Senna's second all-time highest pole record, 0.330 seconds quicker than Ferrari's Vettel in second. Third spot on the grid went to Valtteri Bottas with Raikkonen and Verstappen starting fourth and fifth.
At the start, Max Verstappen advanced three positions to head into turn two right behind Hamilton who was in the lead. Third and fourth were Bottas and Vettel, the latter had sustained slight front wing damage from contact with Verstappen heading into turn 2. Daniel Ricciardo moved into 5th when he passed Kimi Räikkönen on the first lap. Räikkönen would eventually finish 7th after falling behind the Force Indias and struggling with brake problems in the late stages of the race. Also on the first lap, an incident occurred causing the retirement of Carlos Sainz and Felipe Massa, and a pit stop front wing change for Romain Grosjean. The safety car was brought out to allow marshals to clear the track. At the restart Vettel's damaged wing partially collapsed as he accelerated back to racing speed. He pitted on lap 5 to repair the damage and dropped to 18th (last) position. On lap 11, Verstappen's Red Bull lost electrical power and forced his retirement from 2nd position. As the race continued, Canadian Lance Stroll worked his way up into 9th position for what would be his first points in F1. On lap 66 Fernando Alonso's McLaren suffered an engine failure preventing him from scoring his team's first points of the season. Hamilton finished the race 20 seconds ahead of teammate Bottas with Ricciardo in third. Sebastian Vettel overtook Sergio Pérez on the penultimate lap to finish in 4th position close behind Ricciardo, following a race-long charge from the back and an alternate two-stop strategy. Earlier Pérez had ignored requests from his team to allow his faster teammate Esteban Ocon past in order to challenge Ricciardo for the last podium place.
|5||33||Max Verstappen||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer||1:13.177||1:12.751||1:12.403||5|
|6||3||Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer||1:13.543||1:12.810||1:12.557||6|
|8||11||Sergio Pérez||Force India-Mercedes||1:13.470||1:13.262||1:13.018||8|
|9||31||Esteban Ocon||Force India-Mercedes||1:13.520||1:13.320||1:13.135||9|
|11||26||Daniil Kvyat||Toro Rosso||1:13.802||1:13.690||11|
|13||55||Carlos Sainz Jr.||Toro Rosso||1:14.051||1:13.756||13|
|107% time: 1:17.772|
- ^1 – Pascal Wehrlein penalised five grid places for an unscheduled gearbox change and required to start from the pit lane for changing to a new specification of rear wing assembly.
- ^1 – Driver retired from the race, but was classified as he had completed 90% of the winner's race distance.
Championship standings after the raceEdit
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada 2017". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Limited. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- Mitchell, Malcolm. "2017 Formula 1 World Championship Programmes - The Motor Racing Programme Covers Project". Progcovers.com. Retrieved 18 November 2018.
- Mitchell, Malcolm. "Circuit Gilles Villeneuve - The Motor Racing Programme Covers Project". Progcovers.com. Retrieved 18 November 2018.
- Weather information for the 2017 Canadian Grand Prix at The Old Farmer's Almanac
- "F1 reveals overall rise in 2017 attendance". Gpupdate.net. 8 December 2017. Archived from the original on 9 December 2017.
- "Ultrasoft tyres the preferred choice for Canada". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Limited. 30 May 2017. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "Practice - Results - Canadian Grand Prix - 2017 - Formula 1". BBC Sport. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Lewis Hamilton top in Canadian Grand Prix first practice". BBC Sport. 9 June 2017. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Canadian Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton equals Ayrton Senna pole record". BBC Sport. 10 June 2017. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "Qualifying - Results - Canadian Grand Prix - 2017 - Formula 1". BBC Sport. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "Lewis Hamilton wins in Canada for sixth time". BBC Sport. 11 June 2017. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- "Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada 2017 – Qualifying". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Ltd. 10 June 2017. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada 2017 – Race Result". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Ltd. 11 June 2017. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "Canada 2017 - Championship • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2017 Canadian Grand Prix.|
2017 Monaco Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix
2016 Canadian Grand Prix
|Canadian Grand Prix||Next race:|
2018 Canadian Grand Prix