2016 Pro Mazda Championship
|2016 Pro Mazda Championship|
Patricio O'Ward dominated the first half of the season, winning six of the first seven races (and finishing second in the remaining race), vaulting himself into a huge points lead. However, his Team Pelfrey teammate Aaron Telitz vaulted himself back into contention by winning the next four races while O'Ward faltered. Both drivers won one of the three races during the final race weekend but Telitz's non-winning finishes were higher and he won the championship by 28 points. Reigning U.S. F2000 National Championship champion Nico Jamin swept the weekend at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course and finished third in the championship, well back. The only other driver to win a race was Argentinean Nicolas Dapero who captured his maiden victory in the penultimate race of the season and finished fifth in points, behind Will Owen who finished on the podium in eight of the sixteen races but failed to win.
American Bobby Eberle won the National Class championship, largely uncontested.
Drivers and teamsEdit
Race calendar and resultsEdit
- Ties in points broken by number of wins, or best finishes.
|3||Cape Motorsports w/ Wayne Taylor Racing||327|
- "Grist completes Juncos' Pro Mazda line-up". Motorsport.com. 10 December 2015. Retrieved 10 December 2015.
- "Weiron Tan set to challenge for Pro Mazda title with Team Pelfrey". Pro Mazda Championship. Andersen Promotions. February 16, 2016. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- TJ Fischer Moves up to Pro Mazda for Remainder of 2016, Pro Mazda, June 7, 2016, Retrieved 2016-06-09
- "Aaron Telitz Joins Team Pelfrey for 2016 Season". Pro Mazda Championship. Andersen Promotions. January 28, 2016. Retrieved January 31, 2016.