2015 Zaria massacre
The Zaria massacre was a massacre carried out by the Nigerian Army in Zaria, Kaduna State, Nigeria on Saturday, 12 December 2015, against Shia muslims, mostly members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria. At least 348 civilians were killed, with 347 bodies secretly buried by the army in a masse grave.
|2015 Zaria massacre|
Location of Zaria in Nigeria
|Location||Zaria, Kaduna State, Nigeria|
|Date||12–14 December 2015|
|Target||Shia community, Islamic Movement of Nigeria|
|Deaths||At least 348 |
The Army claimed that it had responded to an attempt to assassinate Nigeria’s Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai by the Islamic Movement in Nigeria. This claim has been strongly rejected by the Islamic Movement and several human rights organizations who argue that the massacre occurred without any provocation and that all the protestors were unarmed.
Domestic and international reactionsEdit
Peaceful protests to condemn the killing of Shia Muslims in Nigeria by the Nigerian army were held in different cities of India, including Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad. Demonstrations were also held in Tehran and Mashhad in Iran.
In January 2016, the Kaduna State Government formed the Commission for Judicial Inquiry into the causes of clashes in Zaria between the Islamic Movement in Nigeria and the Nigerian Army in December 2015, under the chairmanship of Justice Mohammed Garba, the presiding justice of the Port Harcourt Division of the Court of Appeal.
On 1 August 2016, the commission of inquiry found the army gunned down 348 Shiites and urged the prosecution of all those involved in the killings.
- "Nigeria military killed hundreds of Shias, activists say".
- "Nigerian Shiites Say Soldiers Have Killed Hundreds ",VOA NEWS,14 December 2015
- "Military, Shiite Muslims clash in northern Nigeria",Yahoo News,14 December 2015
- "Nigerian military attacks Shia group over blocked road, killing some",CNN NEWS,15 December 2015
- "Nigerian Shiites Say Soldiers Have Killed Hundreds",abcnews,15 December 2015
- Report of the Judicial Commission of Inquiry into the Clashes between the IMN and th NA in Zaria, July 2016
- "Zaria Violent Clash: Army, Shiite sect trade blames",Vanguard Newspaper,12 December 2015
- "Zaria Massacre: Army had "predetermined mandate" to attack Shi'ites - Group - Premium Times Nigeria". Premium Times Nigeria. Retrieved 2015-12-21.
- Ashish Tripathi (December 20, 2015). "Shias in Lucknow want Indian govt to intervene in Nigerian crisis". The Times of India City. Retrieved December 24, 2015.
- K.A. Dodhiya (December 18, 2015). "Shias protest against killing in Nigeria". The Asian Age. Archived from the original on December 25, 2015. Retrieved December 24, 2015.
- Ashish Tripathi (December 21, 2015). "Protest against the killings of Shia Muslims in Nigeria". The Siasat Daily, Hyderabad, India. Retrieved December 24, 2015.
- "Iranians protest against killing of Shias in Nigeria". Real Iran. December 17, 2015. Retrieved June 18, 2016.
- "Justice Garba heads inquiry over Army-Shiite killings". TheNEWS. January 16, 2016. Retrieved January 20, 2016.
- Staff reporter (January 17, 2016). "Shiíte Killings: Justice Mohammed Lawal Garba, other icons to lead inquiry". The Heraldng. Retrieved January 20, 2016.