2015 Indy Lights
The 2015 Indy Lights season was the 30th season of the Indy Lights open wheel motor racing series and the 14th sanctioned by IndyCar, acting as the primary support series for the IndyCar Series. The 2015 season was the second promoted by Andersen Promotions, who also promote the other steps on the Mazda Road to Indy. It was the first season for the Dallara IL-15 along with a Mazda MZR-R turbocharged 4-cylinder engine, developed by Advanced Engine Research. 2015 was the second season with Cooper Tire as the sole tire supplier. The championship was contested over 16 races, starting on March 28 at St. Petersburg, Florida and ending on September 13 at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.
|2015 Indy Lights season|
|Start date||March 28|
|End date||September 13|
|Drivers' champion||Spencer Pigot|
|Teams' champion||Schmidt Peterson Motorsports|
|Rookie of the Year||Spencer Pigot|
Team and driver chartEdit
|8 Star Motorsports||8||Scott Hargrove||1–2|
|Sean Rayhall||4–8, 13–16|
|Andretti Autosport||51||Shelby Blackstock||All|
|Belardi Auto Racing||4||Félix Serrallés||All|
|14||Max Chilton||1–8, 11–16|
|Nelson Piquet Jr.||9–10|
|Juncos Racing||12||Spencer Pigot||All|
|Schmidt Peterson Motorsports||7||RC Enerson||All|
The 2015 schedule was released on November 3, 2014. Iowa was added in place of Pocono, whereas Sonoma was replaced by a standalone round at Laguna Seca. The rounds at St. Petersburg and Toronto were expanded to double-headers, therefore the number of races increased to 16.
|1||March 28||St. Petersburg 100||Streets of St. Petersburg||St. Petersburg, Florida|
|3||April 19||Long Beach 100||Streets of Long Beach||Long Beach, California|
|4||April 25||Legacy Indy Lights 100||Barber Motorsports Park||Birmingham, Alabama|
|6||May 8||Grand Prix of Indianapolis||Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course||Speedway, Indiana|
|8||May 22||Freedom 100||Indianapolis Motor Speedway oval||Speedway, Indiana|
|9||June 13||Grand Prix of Toronto||Exhibition Place||Toronto|
|11||July 12||Milwaukee Race 100||Milwaukee Mile||West Allis, Wisconsin|
|12||July 18||Iowa Corn Indy 100||Iowa Speedway||Newton, Iowa|
|13||August 1||Grand Prix of Mid-Ohio||Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course||Lexington, Ohio|
|15||September 12||Grand Prix of Monterey||Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca||Monterey, California|
- Scoring system
- The driver who qualified on pole was awarded one additional point.
- An additional point was awarded to the driver who led the most laps in a race.
- The driver who obtained the fastest lap in a race was awarded one additional point.
- Ties in points broken by number of wins, or best finishes.
|1||Schmidt Peterson Motorsports w/ Curb-Agajanian||407|
|4||Belardi Auto Racing||202|
- "Mazda Powers Indy Lights in 2015". Indy Lights. Andersen Promotions. December 11, 2014. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- "8Star Expands Driver Development Program with Indy Lights Commitment". Indy Lights. Andersen Promotions. September 29, 2014. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- Pruett, Marshall (February 5, 2015). "8Star continues driver search". Racer. Haymarket Publications. Archived from the original on 2015-03-17. Retrieved February 15, 2015.
Scott will be in the car for the first race, and we have our second car now – a lot of people have shown interest in it, so we're hoping to get a driver in that car.
- "Sean Rayhall and 8Star Motorsports reunite for Indy Lights championship". Indy Lights. Andersen Promotions. April 22, 2015. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- DiZinno, Tony (January 16, 2015). "Schmidt Peterson announces Scott Anderson as fourth driver". MotorSportsTalk. NBC Sports. Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- "Brabham and Andretti Together for St. Pete Indy Lights". Indy Lights. Andersen Promotions. March 18, 2015. Retrieved March 19, 2015.
- Simmons, Marcus (September 23, 2014). "Felix Serralles switches to Indy Lights for 2015 season". Autosport. Haymarket Publications. Retrieved September 23, 2014.
- "Belardi Auto Racing Signs Piedrahita for 2015 Indy Lights Championship". Indy Lights. Andersen Promotions. January 24, 2015. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- Roberts, James (December 1, 2014). "Carlin aims for IndyCar after launching 2015 Indy Lights programme". Autosport. Haymarket Publications. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- "Carlin taps F3 veteran Jones". Racer. Haymarket Publications. December 12, 2014. Archived from the original on February 17, 2015. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- Pruett, Marshall (March 23, 2015). "Indy Lights: Brabham, Chilton, Harvey highlight St. Pete entry list". Racer. Haymarket Publications. Archived from the original on 2015-03-25. Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- "Nelson Piquet Jr to make Indy Lights debut with Carlin". Autosport. Haymarket Publications. June 8, 2015. Retrieved June 9, 2015.
- "SPM Orders New Indy Lights Cars for 2015 Season". Indy Lights. Andersen Promotions. October 21, 2014. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- "Enerson Signs with SPM for 2015 Indy Lights". Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. MediaFuel. December 19, 2014. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- DiZinno, Tony (September 8, 2015). "SPM adds fifth Indy Lights car for Heamin Choi at Mazda Raceway". MotorSportsTalk. NBC Sports. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- "Harvey Returns to SPM for 2015 Indy Lights Season". Indy Lights. Andersen Promotions. January 12, 2015. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- "Ringel Signs with SPM Lights". Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. MediaFuel. October 29, 2014. Retrieved October 29, 2014.
- DiZinno, Tony (November 3, 2014). "Mazda Road to Indy 2015 schedules released". MotorSportsTalk. NBC Sports. Retrieved January 2, 2015.