2013 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
The 2013 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (formally known as the 2013 Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix) was a Formula One motor race that was held at the Yas Marina Circuit on 3 November 2013. The race was the seventeenth round of the 2013 season, and marked the 5th running of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
|2013 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix|
|Race 17 of 19 in the 2013 Formula One World Championship|
|Date||3 November 2013|
|Official name||2013 Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix|
Yas Marina Circuit|
Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||5.554 km (3.451 mi)|
|Distance||55 laps, 305.355 km (189.739 mi)|
|Time||1:43.434 on lap 55|
The race, contested over 55 laps, was won by Sebastian Vettel, driving a Red Bull. Mark Webber finished second, and by Nico Rosberg driving a Mercedes was third. Vettel won the race 30.8s ahead of his Red Bull teammate Mark Webber. Vettel's victory equalled Alberto Ascari and Michael Schumacher's record in 1953 and 2004 record for most consecutive wins in a season. This was Red Bull's 100th podium. Adrian Sutil scored his last World Championship points at this race, Paul di Resta also scored his final points.
Partial solar eclipseEdit
Like the 2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, tyre supplier Pirelli brought its white-banded medium compound tyre as the harder "prime" tyre and the yellow-banded soft compound tyre as the softer "option" tyre.
During third practice Mercedes and Red Bull were close at the top and the session ended with Vettel two-tenths of a second ahead of Webber who in turn was less than a hundredth of a second faster than Hamilton's Mercedes
Webber qualified in pole position ahead of his Red Bull teammate Vettel who qualified in second. The Mercedes drivers of Hamilton and Rosberg qualified on the second row of the grid. Fernando Alonso was the highest placed driver in the World Championship standings who failed to qualify for the final round of qualifying.
Kimi Räikkönen was excluded from qualifying and was relegated to twenty-second place on the grid having originally qualified fifth place on the grid after his car failed a floor deflection test.
The race began with Vettel in second on the grid overtaking Webber into the first corner and then leading until the chequered flag. Rosberg moved up to second position, while Kimi Räikkönen, starting from the back of the grid, broke his front-right suspension after contact with Giedo van der Garde, causing Räikkönen to retire from the race. German Nico Hülkenberg, during his first pit-stop was deemed to have been unsafely released and was given a drive through penalty. Grosjean, advanced from sixth on the grid to fourth after the start. During the first half of the race, Felipe Massa led his team-mate Alonso, but was overtaken by Alonso in the latter stages of the race. After Alonso's second pit-stop, he came out of the pitlane and moved around backmarker Jean-Éric Vergne, going off the racetrack with all four wheels in a move that consequently caused Massa to run wide into turn five. Vettel won the race by 30.8s over Webber.
|1||2||Mark Webber||Red Bull-Renault||1:41.568||1:40.575||1:39.957||1|
|2||1||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull-Renault||1:41.683||1:40.781||1:40.075||2|
|10||19||Daniel Ricciardo||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:41.884||1:40.852||1:41.111||9|
|12||14||Paul di Resta||Force India-Mercedes||1:41.676||1:41.133||11|
|14||18||Jean-Éric Vergne||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:41.692||1:41.279||13|
|18||15||Adrian Sutil||Force India-Mercedes||1:42.051||17|
|19||21||Giedo van der Garde||Caterham-Renault||1:43.252||18|
|107% time: 1:47.741|
^1 - Kimi Räikkönen qualified fifth, but was disqualified from qualifying when his car failed a floor deflection test.
^2 - Jules Bianchi qualified twentieth, but penalised five grid places for an unscheduled gearbox change and started from twenty-first after Räikkönen was disqualified from qualifying.
Championship standings after the raceEdit
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "2013 Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix". Formula1.com. Formula One Management. Archived from the original on 11 November 2014.
- "Grosjean fastest in Abu Dhabi first practice". Reuters. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- "Normal service continues as Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel dominate Abu Dhabi second practice". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- "Red Bull ahead of Mercedes as practice ends". New Straits Times. Retrieved 2 November 2013.[dead link]
- "Qualifying — superb Webber beats Vettel to pole in Abu Dhabi". Formula1.com. Archived from the original on 3 November 2013. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- "Raikkonen excluded from qualifying after failed floor test". Formula1.com. Archived from the original on 3 November 2013. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- "Kimi Raikkonen excluded from Abu Dhabi GP qualifying after Lotus car fails floor test". Sky Sports F1. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- "Sebastian Vettel triumphs ahead of Mark Webber to claim seventh consecutive win". The Daily Telegraph. 3 November 2013. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Sebastian Vettel takes crushing Abu Dhabi GP win for Red Bull". BBC Sport. 3 November 2013. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Abu Dhabi GP: Sebastian Vettel unpunished after donut celebrations". Autosport. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Vettel wie im Rausch, aber auch geschockt" (in German). Kicker.de. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- "Formula 1 - Alonso had 'big hit' in Vergne moment". Eurosport. 3 November 2013. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "2013 Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Qualifying Results". Formula1.com. Formula One Administration. 2 November 2013. Archived from the original on 3 November 2013. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- "2013 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Race Results". Formula1.com. Archived from the original on 3 November 2013. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- "Abu Dhabi 2013 - Championship • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2013 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.|
2013 Indian Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
2013 United States Grand Prix
2012 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
|Abu Dhabi Grand Prix||Next race:|
2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix