2012 Cup of Nations (rugby union)
The 2012 Emirates Cup of Nations is the second Cup of Nations tournament to be hosted by the United Arab Emirates and will be again held at The Sevens Stadium in Dubai. This tournament acts as a year ending tournament for tier 3 teams from different continents and provides greater preparation for teams to play in their regional competitions.
|2012 Cup of Nations|
Venue The Sevens, Dubai
|Countries|| United Arab Emirates|
|Date||8–14 December 2012|
|Champions||Belgium (1st title)|
Belgium won the tournament, defeating defending champions Hong Kong on the third and final match day, 24-12. Hong Kong were runners up, with Zimbabwe taking third place, defeating United Arab Emirates.
The tournament is being played as a single round-robin, with the winner being the leading team after the third round of fixtures. The points for the tournament were awarded for: Win = 4 points Draw = 2 points Loss = 1 point Scoring 4 or more tries in one game = 1 bonus point Losing by 7 or less points = 1 bonus point
Fixtures and resultsEdit
|2||Hong Kong (28)||3||2||0||1||85||37||+48||1||9|
|4||United Arab Emirates (96)||3||0||0||3||23||210||-187||0||0|
Pre-tournament rankings in parentheses
|8 December 2012||United Arab Emirates||3 - 94||Belgium||The Sevens, Dubai|
|Pen: James Ham
|Try: Thibaut Andre 3,
Alan Williams 4,
Kevin Dams 3,
Eliot van Trappen,
Con: Alan Williams 12
|8 December 2012||Hong Kong||22 - 7||Zimbabwe||The Sevens, Dubai|
|Try: Tom McColl
Con: Christopher McAdam
Pen: Christopher McAdam 5
Cards: Johnathan Rees
|Try: Steven Hunduza
Con: Linience Tambwera
|11 December 2012||United Arab Emirates||6 - 51||Hong Kong||The Sevens, Dubai|
|Pen: Chris Burch,
|Report||Try: Stewart Megaw 2,
Salom Yiu Kam-shing,
Con: Mike Glancy 4
Pen: Mike Glancy
|11 December 2012||Zimbabwe||11 - 28||Belgium||The Sevens, Dubai|
|Try: Takunda Chifokoyo
Pen: Tichafara Makwanya 2
Cards: 3 yellows
Report2[permanent dead link]
|Try: Bastian Vermeylen,
Con: Sebastien Guns
Pen: Alan Williams 2
Cards: Alain Miriallakis 53'
|14 December 2012||Belgium||24 - 12||Hong Kong||The Sevens, Dubai|
|Try: Thomas de Molder,
Con: Alan Williams
Pen: Alan Williams 3,
|Pen: Chris McAdam 4
|14 December 2012||United Arab Emirates||14 - 65||Zimbabwe||The Sevens, Dubai|
|Try: Ross Combe
Pen: James Ham 3
|Report||Try: Kudakwashe Chiwanza 3,
Con: Lenience Tambwera 7
Pen: Lenience Tambwera 2
- "Belgium XV to Emirates Airline Cup of Nations in Dubaï". Rugby Redefined. 2012-11-24. Archived from the original on 2016-03-07. Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- "Emirates Airline Cup of Nations kicks off for second year". AMEinfo.com. 2012-11-22. Archived from the original on 2013-01-16. Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- "EACON - Emirates Airline Cup Of Nations 2012". EACON. Archived from the original on 2013-01-14. Retrieved 2012-12-04.
- "Sables depleted ahead of Emirates Airline Cup of Nations". The Standard (Zimbabwe). 2012-12-01. Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- "Sables lament poor funding". The Standard (Zimbabwe). 2012-10-28. Retrieved 2012-12-03.
- http://www.thenational.ae/sport/rugby/hard-work-pays-off-for-belgium-rugby-side[permanent dead link]
- "Al Azri relishes first UAE cap despite heavy loss to Belgium". archive.org. 10 December 2012. Archived from the original on 10 December 2012. Retrieved 14 September 2017.
- "Hong Kong happy with 'a magnificent performance'". thenational.ae. Retrieved 14 September 2017.
- "Hong Kong made to work hard by Zimbabwe". archive.org. 10 December 2012. Archived from the original on 10 December 2012. Retrieved 14 September 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-12-15. Retrieved 2012-12-11.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Chiwanza shines in Sables win - NewsDay Zimbabwe". newsday.co.zw. 15 December 2012. Retrieved 14 September 2017.