2011 Women's Professional Soccer season
The 2011 Women's Professional Soccer season is the third season for the WPS, the top level professional women's soccer league in the United States. The season started with the opening match on April 9, with the 2011 WPS Championship scheduled for the weekend of August 27–28.
|Champions||Western New York Flash|
|Goals scored||150 (2.78 per match)|
|Top goalscorer||Marta, WNY;|
Christine Sinclair, WNY (10) 
|Biggest home win||PHI 6-0 mJ|
|Biggest away win||ATL 1-4 BOS|
NJ 1-4 WNY
|Highest scoring||PHI 4-3 NJ|
|Highest attendance||15,404 WNY vs. mJ (July 20)|
|Lowest attendance||864 mJ vs. ATL (May 29)|
Changes from the 2010 SeasonEdit
- Defending champions FC Gold Pride will not return for the 2011 season.
- Also not returning for the 2011 season are Chicago Red Stars, which were given a month's deadline to find investors after the original announcement of the teams, but failed to achieve so. The Red Stars will spend 2011 regrouping in the WPSL.
- New to the league are the Western New York Flash, who are playing in Rochester, New York.
- Due to a change in ownership, the Washington Freedom were renamed "magicJack", and also moved from the Washington area to Boca Raton in South Florida.
- The regular season will begin on April 9 and end on August 14, with most teams playing few games during the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup. The playoffs will be held during the last two weeks of August and end with the WPS Championship presented by Citi on either August 27 or 28.
- Each team will play a total of eighteen games, two at home and two away against every other team minus one home game for one opponent and one away game for a different opponent.
- The playoff format was identical to that of the 2010 season. The four teams with the most points from the regular season qualified for the playoffs. The third- and fourth-placed regular season finishers played each other in the single-match First Round, with the winner traveling to face the second-placed regular season finisher in the Super Semifinal midweek. The Super Semifinal winner then traveled to face the first-placed regular season finisher in the WPS Championship.
|Abbreviation and Color Key:|
Atlanta Beat - ATL • Boston Breakers - BOS • magicJack - mJ
Philadelphia Independence - PHI • Sky Blue FC - NJ • Western New York Flash - WNY
• • •
|Sky Blue FC||PHI||ATL||BOS||WNY||ATL||BOS||WNY||BOS||ATL||PHI||mJ||WNY||PHI||mJ||WNY||mJ||PHI||BOS|
|Western New York Flash||BOS||ATL||ATL||NJ||BOS||mJ||PHI||NJ||PHI||PHI||NJ||mJ||BOS||NJ||BOS||ATL||mJ||ATL|
|Pos||Team||Pld||W||D||L||GF||GA||GD||Pts||Promotion or relegation|
|1||Western New York Flash||18||13||3||2||40||18||+22||42||2011 WPS Championship|
|2||Philadelphia Independence||18||11||3||4||31||18||+13||36||2011 WPS Super Semifinal|
|3||magicJack||18||9||2||7||29||29||0||28[a]||2011 WPS Playoffs|
|5||Sky Blue FC||18||5||4||9||24||29||−5||19[b]|
Rules for classification: 1) points, 2) goal difference, 3) head to head result.
- magicJack were deducted a point for various league violations.
- BOS: 7 pts; SKY: 4 pt
August 17, 2011
August 20, 2011
August 27, 2011
|1||Western New York Flash||1(5)|
|2||Philadelphia Independence||2||2||Philadelphia Independence||1(4)|
Player of the WeekEdit
Player of the MonthEdit
|Month||Player of the Month||Club||Month's Statline|
|May||McCall Zerboni||Western New York Flash||2 G, 2 A in 5 games; Flash 5-0 in May|
WPS Year End AwardsEdit
|Michelle Akers Player of the Year||Verónica Boquete||Philadelphia Independence||Also earned league’s top honor as MVP|
|WPS Defender of the Year||Whitney Engen||Western New York Flash||Started and played the full 90 in all but one game|
|US Coast Guard Goalkeeper of the Year||Ashlyn Harris||Western New York Flash||Led the league in regular season goals per game average (1.00)|
|US Soccer Federation Rookie of the Year||Christen Press||magicJack||First-ever hat trick scored by a rookie on July 30, 2011|
|WPS Coach of the Year||Paul Riley||Philadelphia Independence||Led his team to a seven-game unbeaten streak and playoff final|
|Citi Sportswoman of the Year||Nikki Krzysik||Philadelphia Independence||Team captain selected by her peers for exemplary leadership|
|PUMA Golden Boot (Top Scorer)||Marta||Western New York Flash||Scored ten goals, earning her third consecutive award|
2011 WPS Best XIEdit
|Ashlyn Harris||Goalkeeper||Western New York Flash|
|Whitney Engen *||Defense||Western New York Flash|
|Kia McNeill||Defense||Philadelphia Independence|
|Nikki Krzysik||Defense||Philadelphia Independence|
|Ali Riley||Defense||Western New York Flash|
|Veronica Boquete *||Midfield||Philadelphia Independence|
|Caroline Seger||Midfield||Western New York Flash|
|Jen Buczkowski||Midfield||Philadelphia Independence|
|Christine Sinclair *||Forward||Western New York Flash|
|Marta||Forward||Western New York Flash|
* – unanimous selection
Source: WPS Announces Best XI of 2011
- First Goal of the season: Jordan Angeli for Boston Breakers against Atlanta Beat, 18th minute (April 9)
- Earliest Goal in a match: 14 seconds by Lauren Cheney for Boston Breakers against Sky Blue FC (August 14) 
- Widest Winning Margin: 6 goals
- Most Goals Scored in a Match: 7
- Fewest Scoreless Games: 1 - Western New York Flash
- Most Scoreless Games: 13 - Atlanta Beat
- Average Goals per Match: 2.778
|Abby Wambach||magicJack||Atlanta||4–0||May 28, 2011||9', 67', 89'|
|Natasha Kai||Philadelphia||Sky Blue||4–3||July 6, 2011||3', 38', 58'|
|Christen Press||magicJack||Boston||4–0||July 30, 2011||36', 76', 83'|
- 4 Player scored 4 goals
- 5 Player scored 5 goals
- First Yellow Card: Katherine Reynolds for Atlanta Beat against Boston Breakers (April 9)
- First Red Card: Allison Whitworth for Atlanta Beat against Boston Breakers (April 9)
- Most Yellow Cards: 4
- Longest Winning Streak: 6 games
- Philadelphia Independence Games 8-13
- Longest Unbeaten Streak: 8 games
- Longest Winless Streak: 16 games
- Atlanta Beat Games 3-18
- Longest Losing Streak: 5 games
- Atlanta Beat Games 4-8
- Longest Shutouts:
- Longest Drought: 757 minutes for Atlanta Beat
Home Team RecordEdit
(Regular season only)
- 30 wins, 14 losses, 10 ties - 1.852 PPG
- 92 goals for, 58 against - +34 GD
- "2011 goal scorers". womensprosoccer.com. Archived from the original on September 7, 2011. Retrieved July 27, 2011.
- "WPS Finalizes Calendar for 2011 Season". WPS. December 8, 2010. Archived from the original on January 1, 2011. Retrieved December 14, 2010.
- "Teams Confirmed for 2011 WPS Season". WPS. November 16, 2010. Archived from the original on November 19, 2010. Retrieved November 16, 2010.
- "Red Stars Planning to Suspend Operations". WPS. December 13, 2010. Archived from the original on December 17, 2010. Retrieved December 14, 2010.
- wpsl.info Archived April 30, 2011, at the Wayback Machine; Red Stars are Back! Joining WPSL for 2011
- "WPS Imposes Punishment on magicJack with Point Deduction, Loss of Draft Picks". allwhitekit.com. May 12, 2011.
- "WPS Announces 2011 Year End Awards". WPS. August 17, 2011. Archived from the original on August 23, 2011. Retrieved August 25, 2011.
- "Breakers Beat Sky Blue, Clinch Playoff Berth". WPS. August 14, 2011.[permanent dead link]