2011 Oregon State Beavers football team
The 2011 Oregon State Beavers football team represented Oregon State University during the 2011 NCAA Division I FBS football season. The team's head coach was Mike Riley, in his ninth straight season and eleventh overall. Home games were played at Reser Stadium in Corvallis, and they are members of the North Division of the Pac-12 Conference. The Beavers finished the season 3–9, 3–6 in Pac-12 play to finish in fifth place in the North Division.
|2011 Oregon State Beavers football|
|2011 record||3–9 (3–6 Pac-12)|
|Head coach||Mike Riley (11th season)|
|Offensive coordinator||Danny Langsdorf (7th season)|
|Defensive coordinator||Mark Banker (9th season)|
|Home stadium||Reser Stadium|
|2011 Pac-12 Conference football standings|
|No. 4 Oregon xy$||8||–||1||12||–||2|
|No. 7 Stanford x%||8||–||1||11||–||2|
|No. 6 USC †||7||–||2||10||–||2|
|Championship: Oregon 49, UCLA 31|
Rankings from AP Poll
|September 3||1:00 PM||Sacramento State*||L 28–29 OT||41,581|
|September 10||9:00 AM||at No. 8 Wisconsin*||ESPN||L 0–35||80,337|
|September 24||12:30 PM||UCLA||FCS Pacific||L 19–27||44,352|
|October 1||7:30 PM||at No. 25 Arizona State||FCS Pacific||L 20–35||57,437|
|October 8||12:30 PM||Arizona||FCS Pacific||W 37–27||40,403|
|October 15||1:00 PM||BYU*||FCS Pacific||L 28–38||42,584|
|October 22||7:30 PM||vs. Washington State||FSN||W 44–21||49,219|
|October 29||4:00 PM||at Utah||RTNW||L 8–27||45,017|
|November 5||12:30 PM||No. 4 Stanford||ABC||L 13–38||42,835|
|November 12||3:30 PM||at California||RTNW||L 6–23||39,602|
|November 19||12:30 PM||Washington||RTNW||W 38–21||42,766|
|November 26||12:30 PM||at No. 9 Oregon||ABC/ESPN2||L 21–49||59,802|
|2011 Oregon State Beavers|
The Sacramento State Hornets defeated Oregon State in overtime on September 3, 29–28. The Hornets had second possession in overtime, and after quarterback Jeff Fleming made a 6-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Brandyn Reed to pull within one point, the Hornets attempted a two-point conversion for the win. Fleming and Reed connected again for the two-point conversion and the 1-point victory. During Oregon State's possession in overtime, running back Malcolm Agnew put the Beavers ahead by 7 with a 17-yard touchdown run. For the game, Agnew ran for 223 yards and three touchdowns on 33 carries to lead the Beavers. After the Beavers trailed 14–3 at halftime, quarterback Ryan Katz was replaced by redshirt freshman Sean Mannion. Mannion finished the day with eight completion on 12 attempts and 143 yards, while Katz managed 11 completions on 22 attempts and 87 yards. James Rodgers did not play for the Beavers due to a lingering knee injury.
UCLA leads the series 40–15–4 that began in 1930 and played in Los Angeles, Corvallis, Portland and Tokyo (1980 Mirage Bowl). The Bruins won last year 17–14 on Kai Forbath's 51-yard field goal on the last play of the game.
|#25 Sun Devils||0||21||7||7||35|
Fred Thompson, a true freshman defensive end, died in the early evening of December 7, 2011 in Corvallis. According to OSU officials, Thompson was playing basketball at the Dixon Recreation Center on the OSU campus when he collapsed. He was transported to Good Samaritan Hospital in Corvallis where he was pronounced dead. Thompson was from Richmond, California. He was 19 years old.
- The team finished with their worst record since 1996.
- "Sacramento State Hornets vs. Oregon State Beavers Box Score". ESPN. September 3, 2011. Retrieved September 3, 2011.
- "Oregon State Beavers vs. Wisconsin Badgers Box Score". ESPN. September 10, 2011. Retrieved September 10, 2011.
- "UCLA Bruins vs. Oregon State Beavers Box Score". ESPN. September 24, 2011. Retrieved September 25, 2011.
- "Oregon State Beavers vs. Arizona State Sun Devils Box Score". ESPN. October 1, 2011. Retrieved October 8, 2011.
- "Arizona Wildcats vs. Oregon State Beavers Box Score". ESPN. October 8, 2011. Retrieved October 8, 2011.
- "BYU Cougars vs. Oregon State Beavers Box Score". ESPN. October 15, 2011. Retrieved October 15, 2011.
- "Oregon State Beavers vs. Washington State Cougars Box Score". ESPN. October 22, 2011. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- "Oregon State Beavers vs. Utah Utes Box Score". ESPN. October 29, 2011. Retrieved October 29, 2011.
- "Stanford Cardinal vs. Oregon State Beavers Box Score". ESPN. November 5, 2011. Retrieved November 5, 2011.
- "Oregon State Beavers vs. California Golden Bears Box Score". ESPN. November 12, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- "Washington Huskies vs. Oregon State Beavers Box Score". ESPN. November 19, 2011. Retrieved November 19, 2011.
- "Oregon State Beavers vs. Oregon Ducks Box Score". ESPN. November 26, 2011. Retrieved November 26, 2011.
- "Sacramento State shocks Oregon State in overtime". ESPN.com. Associated Press. Retrieved September 9, 2011.
- "Beavers Come Up Short Against UCLA." Archived 2012-06-02 at the Wayback Machine OSUBeavers.com. Retrieved December 1, 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-01-21. Retrieved 2011-12-08.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Kirkpatrick, Cliff (November 29, 2011). "OSU football: Pain of 2011 Not Something Beavers Want to Relive". Corvallis Gazette-Times. Retrieved December 14, 2011.