2011 CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament
The 2011 CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT) was a postseason single-elimination tournament of 24 NCAA Division I teams. The CIT began with 12 first-round games. Four of the teams that won first-round games advanced to the quarterfinals, while the other eight teams played for the right to advance to the quarterfinals in the second round March 18–19. The announcement of the 2011 field was made on March 13, 2011.
|Finals site||Hynes Athletic Center|
New Rochelle, New York
|Champions||Santa Clara (1st title)|
|Runner-up||Iona (1st title game)|
|Winning coach||Kerry Keating (1st title)|
|MVP||Kevin Foster (Santa Clara)|
Twenty-three of the participants were selected from teams that were not invited to the 2011 NCAA Tournament or the 2011 National Invitation Tournament. The winner of the 2011 Great West Conference Men's Basketball Tournament, North Dakota, received an automatic bid to the CIT.
The tournament was won by Santa Clara who defeated Iona in the championship game 76–69. Santa Clara was not one of the four teams to receive a second-round bye thus becoming the first team to win five games to win the tournament championship.
The following teams received an invitation to the 2011 CIT:
|Air Force||Mountain West||15–15||6–10|
|East Carolina||Conference USA||18–15||8–8|
|East Tennessee State||Atlantic Sun||22–11||16–4|
|Iona||Metro Atlantic Athletic||22–11||13–5|
|North Dakota||Great West||19–14||8–4|
|Northern Arizona||Big Sky||19–12||9–7|
|Northern Iowa||Missouri Valley||19–13||10–8|
|Rider||Metro Atlantic Athletic||23–10||13–5|
|San Francisco||West Coast||17–14||11–4|
|Santa Clara||West Coast||19–14||8–6|
|Southern Methodist||Conference USA||17–14||8–8|
|Tennessee Tech||Ohio Valley||20–12||12–6|
Twelve teams advanced from the first-round games. Of the twelve remaining teams, four received byes into the quarterfinals. RPI, strength of schedule, conference ranking and geographic location determined the byes and seeding of the remaining twelve teams.
Bracket is for visual purposes only. The CIT does not have a set bracket.
- East Tennessee State, Iona, Northern Iowa and Ohio received byes to the quarterfinal round following their first round victories.
March 14, 15 and 16
March 18 and 19
March 21 and 22
March 25 and 26
|Air Force||77||Air Force||75|
|Northern Arizona||63||Santa Clara||88|
|Santa Clara||68||Santa Clara||95|
|San Francisco||81||San Francisco||77|
|Northern Iowa||84||Santa Clara||76|
|Tennessee Tech||66||Western Michigan||48|
|East Tennessee State||80|
|Furman||63||East Tennessee State||82|
|East Tennessee State||76||East Tennessee State|
Home teams are listed second.
* Denotes overtime period.
- . Retrieved on January 26, 2009
- AFA reaches agreement to host CollegeInsider.com tourney game Archived 2012-08-25 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on March 10, 2011
- UB Accepts Postseason invite. Retrieved on March 12, 2011
- ECU Men Headed to CIT. Retrieved on March 13, 2011
- ETSU Buccaneers Invited to the CollegeInsider.com Tournament: Will They RSVP? Archived 2011-07-16 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on March 13, 2011
- "Furman Basketball Accepts Bid To CollegeInsider.com Tournament". March 10, 2011. Retrieved March 10, 2011.
- UH will host Portland in CIT. Retrieved on March 10, 2011
- Idaho Vandals knocked out of WAC Tournament, invited to play in CollegeInsiders.com Tournament. Retrieved on March 10, 2011
- JU travels to face East Carolina in the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament Archived 2011-07-13 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on March 13, 2011
- West Conference Tournament champions!. Retrieved on March 13, 2011
- Men's Basketball Accepts CIT Berth, Plays at Santa Clara Tuesday Night Archived 2011-07-14 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on March 12, 2011
- Logue, Andrew (March 7, 2011). "UNI men to CIT, coach will pay for student tickets". Retrieved March 7, 2011.
- ORU Accepts invite to CollegeInsider Tournament. Retrieved on March 10, 2011
- Portland Pilots to play at Hawaii in CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament. Retrieved on March 10, 2011
- Quinnipiac men to host CIT game Monday[permanent dead link]. Retrieved on March 10, 2011
- Broncs in CIT Archived 2011-07-11 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on March 12, 2011
- USF Men's Basketball Accepts Bid to CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament Archived 2011-07-17 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on March 8, 2011
- College basketball: Santa Clara to host postseason game. Retrieved on March 8, 2011
- "March Madness Is Back In Moody". SMUMustangs.com. Southern Methodist University. 11 March 2011. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- TTU MEN'S BASKETBALL: Season continues for Golden Eagles. Retrieved on Retrieved on March 13, 2011
- Valpo Accepts Bid to CollegeInsider.com Tournament; Will Host Iona Wednesday. Retrieved on Retrieved on March 13, 2011
- Western Michigan men's basketball team accepts CIT bid, will host first-round game Wednesday night. Retrieved on Retrieved on March 13, 2011