2009 Indonesian Air Force L-100 crash
On 20 May 2009, an Indonesian Air Force Lockheed L-100-30(P) Hercules was carrying 112 people (98 passengers and 14 crew) and crashed at about 6:30 local time (23:30 UTC), while flying from Jakarta to eastern Java. The crash resulted in 99 deaths, 2 of which occurred on impact when the aircraft struck at least four houses before skidding into a rice paddy, in the village of Geplak. and at least 70 others were taken to a local hospital. Authorities believe that there is still 1 missing body.
The accident scene
|Date||20 May 2009|
|Summary||Hit houses on approach, Miscalculation(Pilot Error)|
|Aircraft type||Lockheed L-100-30(P) Hercules|
|Operator||Tentara Nasional Indonesia-AU (Indonesian Air Force)|
|Flight origin||Jakarta-Halim Perdana Kusuma Airport (HLP/WIHH)|
|Destination||Iswahyudi Air Force Base (WARI), Indonesia|
|Fatalities||99 (including 2 on the ground)|
The airplane, a civilian Lockheed L-100-30(P) version of the C-130 Hercules, registration A-1325 had been on a normal flight transporting military personnel and their families from Jakarta to a military base in eastern Java. The plane was attempting to land at Iswahyudi Air Force Base, but instead crashed about 5.5 kilometres (3.4 mi) northwest of the north end of the runway, bursting into flames upon impact. Flying conditions were good and the weather was clear at the time of the crash. The cause of the accident has not yet been determined, and the investigation is still in a preliminary state.[needs update]
|Wikinews has related news: Airplane crash in Indonesia kills 100|
- McDonald, Mark (2009-05-20). "Crash in Indonesia Kills Dozens". The New York Times. Archived from the original on May 13, 2013. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- "Indonesia says 98 killed in military plane crash". Reuters. 2009-05-20. Archived from the original on 23 May 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- "Indonesia plane crash kills 78: air force". Google News. Agence France-Presse. 2009-05-20. Archived from the original on 23 May 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- "Indonesia military plane crashes, 57 reported dead". Google News. Agence France-Presse. 2009-05-20. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- "Crash: Indonesia C130 at Geplak on May 20th 2009, impacted rice field and houses". The Aviation Herald. 2009-05-20. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- "Indonesia air crash kills scores". BBC. BBC. 2009-05-20. Archived from the original on 22 May 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- "Indonesia says 97 killed in military plane crash". Reuters. 2009-05-20. Archived from the original on 23 May 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- "Aviation Safety Network". Archived from the original on 25 May 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-22.
- Photos of A-1325 Airliners.net