2008 Emerald Bowl
The 2008 Emerald Bowl, part of the 2008-09 NCAA football bowl games season, was played on December 27, 2008, at AT&T Park, the home field of the Giants in San Francisco, California. The Miami Hurricanes of the ACC were matched against the California Golden Bears (based in nearby Berkeley, California) of the Pac-10, the first appearance by either team in the seven-year history of the Emerald Bowl.
|2008 Emerald Bowl|
Cal head coach Jeff Tedford accepts the 2008 Emerald Bowl trophy
|Date||December 27, 2008|
|Location||San Francisco, California|
|MVP||RB Jahvid Best, California (Offensive)|
LB Zack Follett, California (Defensive)
|Favorite||Cal by 8|
|Halftime show||Band of the Hour|
University of California Marching Band
|Payout||US$850,000 (Pac-10) • $750,000 (ACC)|
|United States TV coverage|
|Announcers||Joe Tessitore play-by-play|
Rod Gilmore color
Quint Kessenich sideline
With a 24–17 victory over Miami, Cal improved its record to 10–8–1 all-time in bowl games, and 2–2 all-time vs. Miami. Miami fell to 18–14 all-time in bowl games. California and Miami had met three times previously, with Miami holding a 2–1 advantage. The first meeting resulted in a 9–7 win by Cal in Miami on October 10, 1964. Miami won the next two meetings, 31–3 on September 16, 1989, in Miami, and 52–24 on September 15, 1990, in Berkeley.
A number of Emerald Bowl records were set in this game:
- Attendance: 42,268
- Longest Pass Play: 74 yards; Nate Longshore to Verran Tucker (California)
- Most Yards Rushing: 186 yards, Jahvid Best (California)
- Longest Rush: 42 yards, Jahvid Best (California)
- Quarterback Sacks By: 2, Zack Follett (California)
- Most Total Plays: 124, Miami (73) vs. California (51)
|Cal - Jahvid Best 1-yard TD run (Giorgio Tavecchio kick), 7:15||Cal 7-0|
|Cal - Best 42-yard TD run (Tavecchio kick), 4:55||Cal 14-0|
|Miami - LaRon Byrd 9-yard TD pass from Jacory Harris (Matt Bosher kick), 12:54||Cal 14-7|
|Miami - Thearon Collier 6-yard TD pass from Harris (Bosher kick), 7:34||Tie 14-14|
|Cal - Tavecchio 23-yard FG, :27||Cal 17-14|
|Miami - Bosher 22-yard FG, 9:13||Tie 17-17|
|Cal - Anthony Miller 2-yard TD pass from Nate Longshore (Tavecchio kick), 2:41||Cal 24-17|
- "Miami vs California Game Book". 2008-12-27. Retrieved 2009-01-01.
- "2008 Emerald Bowl 8th Most Watched Bowl Telecast Ever". Emerald Bowl Media Services. 2009-01-13. Retrieved 2009-02-17.
- "California Golden Bears Football Media Guide" (PDF). 2008. pp. 158–159. Retrieved 2009-01-01.
- "BEARS TURN BACK 'CANES TO WIN EMERALD BOWL". Emerald Bowl press release. 2008-12-27. Retrieved 2009-01-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2008 Emerald Bowl.|