2007 Detroit Indy Grand Prix
The 2007 Detroit Indy Grand Prix presented by Firestone was an IndyCar Series race that was held on September 2, 2007 on the Raceway on Belle Isle in Detroit, Michigan. It was the sixteenth race of the 2007 IndyCar Series season. Originally scheduled to run over 90 laps, it was shortened to 89 laps. The race was won by Tony Kanaan for the Andretti Green Racing team. Danica Patrick finished second, and Dan Wheldon clinched third.
|16th round of the 2007 IndyCar Series season|
|Date||September 2, 2007|
|Official name||Detroit Indy Grand Prix presented by Firestone|
|Course||Temporary street circuit|
2.09 mi / 3.37 km
186.50 mi / 300.14 km
|Scheduled Distance||90 laps|
188.64 mi / 303.59 km
|Weather||Sunny with temperatures reaching up to 78.1 °F (25.6 °C); wind speeds up to 10.2 miles per hour (16.4 km/h)|
|Driver||Hélio Castroneves (Team Penske)|
|First||Tony Kanaan (Andretti Green Racing)|
|Second||Danica Patrick (Andretti Green Racing)|
|Third||Dan Wheldon (Chip Ganassi Racing)|
Hélio Castroneves claimed pole position for the race, and led the race for the first 26 laps. Dario Franchitti look over the lead when Castroneves pitted, and maintained it until lap 49 when he pitted and relinquished the position to Buddy Rice. Rice held the lead for seven laps, before it passed to Patrick, and then back to Franchitti. Kanaan took the lead on lap 70, staying on the track while most of the field pitted after a caution, and remained at the front for the rest of the race. Behind him, Rice was running in second position, but on the penultimate lap of the race, he ran out of fuel and slowed suddenly, causing Scott Dixon to collide with him, and spin the pair into the barriers. Franchitti, who had been just behind the pair, was blocked by the two cars, but kept running and finished in sixth.
There were six cautions, totalling 19 laps during the race, as a result of which the race was completed in 89 laps, hitting the time limit of 2 hours and 10 minutes, rather than the scheduled 90 laps. It was Kanaan's fifth victory of the 2007 season. Of the 18 drivers that started, 9 were listed as running at the end of the race; six retired after contact, and three retired with mechanical issues.
|7||6||Sam Hornish, Jr.||1:13.6224|
|13||22||A. J. Foyt IV||1:15.5708|
Standings after the raceEdit
- Drivers' Championship
|5||Sam Hornish Jr.||427|
- "2007 Detroit Indy Grand Prix weather information". Old Farmers' Almanac. Retrieved 2018-09-03.
- "2007 Detroit Indy Grand Prix Presented by Firestone". Racing-Reference. USA Today Sports Media Group. Retrieved July 11, 2012.
- "Kanaan wins as Dixon, Franchitti crash on last lap in Detroit". ESPN. Associated Press. September 3, 2007. Retrieved July 11, 2012.
- "Detroit Indy Grand Prix Race Report". Honda. September 2, 2007. Retrieved July 11, 2012.
- "2007 IndyCar Series Results". ESPN. Retrieved July 11, 2012.
- "IndyCar » Qualifying times: Detroit Indy Grand Prix". Crash.net. Crash Media Group. September 1, 2007. Retrieved July 11, 2012.
2007 Motorola Indy 300
2007 Peak Antifreeze Indy 300
2001 Tenneco Automotive
Grand Prix of Detroit
|Detroit Indy Grand Prix||Next race:|
2008 Detroit Indy Grand Prix