2006 World Music Awards
Performances included a "Thriller" recreation by Chris Brown and a children's chorus rendition of "We Are the World" with Michael Jackson. This would end up being Jackson's final live performance (in fact, it was more a participation). Other performers included Andrea Bocelli, Beyoncé, Bob Sinclar, Dima Bilan, Elissa, Enya, Faithless, Katie Melua, Nelly Furtado, Rihanna, Tokio Hotel, and Suleman Mirza.
The World Music Awards ceremony was televised in 160 countries including the United States, Canada, Europe, Australia, Japan, Southeast Asia, China, Africa and the Middle East. In the United Kingdom it was broadcast on Channel 4 on 23 November 2006. In the U.S., ABC is the traditional home of the World Music Awards, but in recent years they have moved to MyNetworkTV, which rebroadcast the 2006 show on 1 July 2009, due to that show's tributes to the recently deceased Michael Jackson.
The Diamond Award honors those recording-artists who have sold over 100 million albums during their career. Past recipients include Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Rod Stewart and Bon Jovi. This year's recipient was Michael Jackson (awarded by Beyoncé). His most popular album, "Thriller" has sold more than 104 million copies worldwide since its release in 1982 - making it the best-selling album of all time.
- World's Best Selling Classical Artist: Andrea Bocelli
- World's Best Selling DJ: Bob Sinclar
- World's Best Selling New Artist: James Blunt
- World's Best Selling Pop Artist: Madonna
- World's Best Selling Pop Rock Artist: Nelly Furtado
- World's Best Selling R&B Artist: Beyoncé
Rap Hip HopEdit
- World's Best Selling Rap Hip Hop Artist: Kanye West
- World's Best Selling Rock Artist: Nickelback
- Best Selling Arabic Artist: Elissa
- Best Selling Barbadian Artist: Rihanna
- Best Selling Chinese Artist: Jay Chou
- Best Selling German Artist: Tokio Hotel
- Best Selling Irish Artist: Enya
- Best Selling Italian Artist: Andrea Bocelli
- Best Selling Middle Eastern Artist: Elissa 
- Best Selling Russian Artist: Dima Bilan
- Best Selling U.K. Artist: James Blunt
- Best Selling U.S. Artist: Madonna
- The 2006 World Music Awards at the Internet Movie Database
- "The 2006 World Music Awards". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- "2006 World Music Awards". Chiff. Archived from the original on 4 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- Weiss, Joanna (26 June 2009). "Michael Jackson, All Over Your Dial". Boston Globe. Archived from the original on 30 June 2009. Retrieved 6 July 2009.
- "Elissa at the World Music Awards 2006". Waleg. 2006-11-13. Archived from the original on 25 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-13.