1998–99 OPJHL season
The 1998–99 OPJHL season is the sixth season of the Ontario Provincial Junior A Hockey League (OPJHL). The thirty-seven teams of the Central, East, and West divisions competed in a 51-game schedule. The top eight of each division made the Buckland Cup playoffs.
|1998–99 OPJHL season|
|League||Ontario Provincial Junior A Hockey League|
|Duration||Regular season |
1998-09 – 1999-02
1999-02 – 1999-04
|Number of teams||37|
|Finals champions||Bramalea Blues|
- OPJHL absorbed folded Metro Junior A Hockey League.
- League realigned from four to three divisions.
- New teams due to merger: Auburn Jr. Crunch (Syracuse Jr. Crunch), Bancroft Hawks (Quinte Hawks), Buffalo Lightning (Niagara Scenic), Caledon Canadians, Durham Huskies, Huntsville Wildcats, Markham Waxers, North York Rangers, Oshawa Legionaires, Pickering Panthers, Port Hope Buzzards, Shelburne Wolves, Thornhill Rattlers, Wellington Dukes, and Wexford Raiders.
Note: GP = Games played; W = Wins; L = Losses; OTL = Overtime Losses; SL = Shootout Losses; GF = Goals For; GA = Goals Against; PTS = Points; x = clinched playoff berth; y = clinched division title; z = clinched conference title
1998-99 Frank L. Buckland Trophy PlayoffsEdit
- For the Central Canada Championship, please go to the Dudley Hewitt Cup.
- For the national championship, please go to the 1999 Royal Bank Cup.
- Collingwood Blues defeated Stouffville Spirit 3-games-to-none
- Couchiching Terriers defeated Thornhill Rattlers 3-games-to-2
- Newmarket Hurricanes defeated Wexford Raiders 3-games-to-1
- Aurora Tigers defeated Markham Waxers 3-games-to-1
- Pickering Panthers defeated Cobourg Cougars 3-games-to-none
- Trenton Sting defeated Wellington Dukes 3-games-to-none
- Lindsay Muskies defeated Auburn Jr. Crunch 3-games-to-none
- Oshawa Legionaires defeated Kingston Voyageurs 3-games-to-1
- Milton Merchants defeated Hamilton Kiltys 3-games-to-none
- Bramalea Blues defeated Oakville Blades 3-games-to-none
- Streetsville Derbys defeated Brampton Capitals 3-games-to-2
- Georgetown Raiders defeated Burlington Cougars 3-games-to-1
- Collingwood Blues defeated Aurora Tigers 4-games-to-1
- Couchiching Terriers defeated Newmarket Hurricanes 4-games-to-1
- Pickering Panthers defeated Oshawa Legionaires 4-games-to-2
- Lindsay Muskies defeated Trenton Sting 4-games-to-2
- Milton Merchants defeated Georgetown Raiders 4-games-to-1
- Bramalea Blues defeated Streetsville Derbys 4-games-to-none
- Collingwood Blues defeated Couchiching Terriers 4-games-to-3
- Bramalea Blues defeated Milton Merchants 4-games-to-2
- Pickering Panthers defeated Lindsay Muskies 4-games-to-none
- Milton Merchants* defeated Collingwood Blues 4-games-to-2
- Bramalea Blues defeated Pickering Panthers 4-games-to-none
(*) denotes that the Merchants were welcomed back into the playoffs for another round despite losing due to their superior playoff winning percentage over Couchiching and Lindsay.
Dudley Hewitt Cup ChampionshipEdit
1999 Royal Bank Cup ChampionshipEdit
- Bramalea Blues defeated Vernon Vipers (BCHL) 4-2
- Bramalea Blues defeated Estevan Bruins (SJHL) 4-3
- Bramalea Blues defeated Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) 5-1
- Charlottetown Abbies (MJAHL) defeated Bramalea Blues 5-1
Note: GP = Games played; G = Goals; A = Assists; Pts = Points; PIM = Penalty Minutes